Vibration when turning steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toothbob

Reaction score
So I have a 2011 LR4 that I'm running 31.5" tires on 18" LR3 rims using spacers.
About a year ago I installed this wheel and tire setup with no issue aside from some rubbing that a little trimming fixed right up.

About 6 months ago my local independent shop did the lower control arms. We opted for arms with medium poly bushings from Atlantic British. While they were there the noticed the tie rods and sway bar bushings were worn and recommended their replacement at the same time. The truck was aligned after install.
Since then I've noticed a vibration when turning the wheel at slow speeds and stopped. Rather like when in other vehicles low power steering fluid or a poorly bled line. No noise though. Just vibration, or thrumming as I move the wheel.

I've taken it back twice and they've blamed the tires being out of balance. A balance and rotation did not fix it. They could not find any problems with the steering system. But suggested I remove the spacers to see if that resolves the issue. Since I don't have the original 19s anymore that's difficult to do.

I took it to one of the big tire shops and had them rotate, balance, and align the truck after having set the suspension in "tight" mode with my Gap tool. The truck tracks and rides nicer but the vibration at slow speed is still there. They found no problems with the front end while it was on the rack.

Reading through other threads I noticed someone mentioned some steering gear issues that others have experienced, but that seemed slightly different than what I'm seeing since there seems to be a noise with that problem.

I'm thinking my next step might be having the power steering system flushed and bled.

Sorry for the long post but I appreciate the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV