West Chester (Transport Mode) Fix did not work for MPG issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

deanz

I just got my LR3 back from the dealer and they said they tried the West Chester Fix (put car in and then out of transport mode). I actually faxed the service manager highlighted excerpts from our forum here. He told me that they tried it and it did the job. He said that her took it out on the highway as well as city and got an average of 16 MPG. Now I've driven it for two days and I get about 9 MPG in city driving and between 11 and 12 MPG on the highway. This is extremely frustrating. I've given up on the whole bluetooth PTI thing...I paid $900 for a glorified headset that doesn't even work...But this is making me think that the car just has too many issues....It looks like some others also tried the West Chester fix and did not get the results they expected. The dealer is going to pick the car up next week to try and fix it again (fourth trip to the dealership in less than two months). Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to what specifically to ask for and what my options might be if they actually can't fix this fuel economy issue?

And just for kicks – the dealer was to also address three other issues - all of which were not fixed….1) bluetooth PTI (which, as I said, I’ve pretty much given up on), rear audio jack in the third row that does not work, 3) look into the Navigation audio command system which works about 30% of the time…In fact, I’ve said, “Navigation – Go Home” so many times, with no response from the system, that my two year old daughter says it all the time now (it’s cute and kind of disturbing all at once)…Land Rover’s poor quality is actually effecting my child rearing ability…WOW! Seriously, I love driving the car, but this is ridiculous. What recourse do we have as conscientious owners???

L

lacarruk1

deanz said:
I just got my LR3 back from the dealer and they said they tried the West Chester Fix (put car in and then out of transport mode). I actually faxed the service manager highlighted excerpts from our forum here. He told me that they tried it and it did the job. He said that her took it out on the highway as well as city and got an average of 16 MPG. Now I've driven it for two days and I get about 9 MPG in city driving and between 11 and 12 MPG on the highway. This is extremely frustrating. I've given up on the whole bluetooth PTI thing...I paid $900 for a glorified headset that doesn't even work...But this is making me think that the car just has too many issues....It looks like some others also tried the West Chester fix and did not get the results they expected. The dealer is going to pick the car up next week to try and fix it again (fourth trip to the dealership in less than two months). Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to what specifically to ask for and what my options might be if they actually can't fix this fuel economy issue?

And just for kicks – the dealer was to also address three other issues - all of which were not fixed….1) bluetooth PTI (which, as I said, I’ve pretty much given up on), rear audio jack in the third row that does not work, 3) look into the Navigation audio command system which works about 30% of the time…In fact, I’ve said, “Navigation – Go Home” so many times, with no response from the system, that my two year old daughter says it all the time now (it’s cute and kind of disturbing all at once)…Land Rover’s poor quality is actually effecting my child rearing ability…WOW! Seriously, I love driving the car, but this is ridiculous. What recourse do we have as conscientious owners???

What dealership tried the fix and how many miles on your truck.

I was given the following advice on the West Chester fix:
1. Break in your engine well. Have at least 3000 - 4000 miles on it.
2. Wait until the spring when they change the gas mixture at the pumps. Apparently - we will all see less Mpg during the winter b/c of govt mandated fuel mixing which lowers fuel efficieny but lowers exhaust in the air.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. Wait until the spring when they change the gas mixture at the pumps. Apparently - we will all see less Mpg during the winter b/c of govt mandated fuel mixing which lowers fuel efficieny but lowers exhaust in the air

That is a new one! It is true that, especially on short trips you will see lower MPG's during cold weather. But I am unaware of any changes in gas at the pump during winter weather.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI:

EPA Winter Oxygenated Gasoline: A finished gasoline that contains a minimum of 1.8% oxygen by weight. This type of finished gasoline is mandated for use during the winter months in areas of the United States (other than California, Arizona and Nevada) that are not in compliance with federal carbon monoxide standards.

Anyway, in general... it's more related to temperature and air density. A 2 MPG drop in winter is fairly common.

L

lacarruk1

grommet said:
FYI:

EPA Winter Oxygenated Gasoline: A finished gasoline that contains a minimum of 1.8% oxygen by weight. This type of finished gasoline is mandated for use during the winter months in areas of the United States (other than California, Arizona and Nevada) that are not in compliance with federal carbon monoxide standards.

Anyway, in general... it's more related to temperature and air density. A 2 MPG drop in winter is fairly common.

Hey - All I have to say is "who the man" that brought this up to begin with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9