What 18" tires should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&load_rating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRating=S

These are a lower cost option to BFG A/T's at about $164 each from tirerack.com. BFG's are running about $225 locally.

The Grabber AT2 is General Tire's On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tire developed for the drivers of pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles. The Grabber AT2 is designed to provide exceptional traction over all-terrains in dry, wet and snowy conditions.

The Grabber AT2 features a chip and tear resistant all-terrain tread compound molded into an aggressive self-cleaning symmetric tread design featuring five rows of deep, independent tread blocks to enhance off-road and wet-road traction. The block sizes and shapes have been computer optimized to allow the aggressive tread pattern to remain relatively quiet during road and highway driving. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts on top of a 2-ply polyester cord sidewall to combine strength and durability with a uniform ride.

General Grabber AT 2 (On-/Off Road All-Terrain)
for 2005 Land Rover LR3 SE
Size: 255/60HR18
Blackwall
Not Rated For Severe Snow
HR Speed Rated
Price: $164.00 (each)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Nitto Grappler is the tire I was thinking of as looking pretty aggressive. ...not sure about rating and construction...

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the link to the tire listing I made a while ago. It does get updated from time to time, so I think it's pretty current still: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=46

The BFG AT's are great tires. Their tread doesn't look like much, but they really do seem to work fantastic, and even in snow from what I hear (no first hand knowledge of that though). They have a highly touted triple ply steel sidewall and long lasting tread compound. Light trucks regularly get 60,000+ miles out of them. However, I have heard that they exhibit a lot of road noise after the first half of their tread life (30,000 miles or so).

The Yoko Geolander and Nitto Terra Grappler are pretty much the same tire, and very comparable to the General Grabber AT2 also. The Nitto's might be bit better allround, but that's pretty subjective.

My Cooper Zeon's have been really good so far (about 8,000 miles now). Excellent in the rain, pretty good in the mud and snow, and stellar in the sand and dirt. They are slightly softer and quieter than my Nitto's were, though they really do look more aggressive than the Nitto's. Jury is still out on durability compared to the Nitto's, which I put through extremely hard use and lasted me about 32,000 miles, and never gave me a flat.

The Nitto's are widely available, the Coopers are only available at Discount Tire for now. That might be a factor for you. The BFG's are carried everywhere, but our size is not commonly in stock at most places.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&load_rating=F&load_rating=G&minSpeedRating=S

These are a lower cost option to BFG A/T's at about $164 each from tirerack.com. BFG's are running about $225 locally.

The Grabber AT2 is General Tire's On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tire developed for the drivers of pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles. The Grabber AT2 is designed to provide exceptional traction over all-terrains in dry, wet and snowy conditions.

The Grabber AT2 features a chip and tear resistant all-terrain tread compound molded into an aggressive self-cleaning symmetric tread design featuring five rows of deep, independent tread blocks to enhance off-road and wet-road traction. The block sizes and shapes have been computer optimized to allow the aggressive tread pattern to remain relatively quiet during road and highway driving. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts on top of a 2-ply polyester cord sidewall to combine strength and durability with a uniform ride.

General Grabber AT 2 (On-/Off Road All-Terrain)
for 2005 Land Rover LR3 SE
Size: 255/60HR18
Blackwall
Not Rated For Severe Snow
HR Speed Rated
Price: $164.00 (each)

So Rob, do you run this model tire? I was having so much fun pushing that F150 out of the way that I forgot to check out your rig. ;-)

Tom

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan, based solely upon offroad performance, what tire has been your favorite and that you'd buy again?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good question, tommithy. ....Rob runs BFG All-terrains (sorry for stealing your thunder, Rob).

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Nathan are you confusing the Yokohama AT-S and the Toyo Open Country AT? I know Nitto is owned by Toyo, and their AT tires are very similar in tread/compound.

I have the Yoko AT-S, and I think it is very distinct from the Toyo/Nitto. It is H-rated and available in 265 and 275 60-18, so closer to OE. The Yoko is actually smoother and quieter than the OE GY's, better wet/dry traction and hydroplane resistance, and only a few pounds heavier. Traction off-road is very good, comparable to the Revo's I've had on other trucks. The only downside is that I do not think the sidewalls have as much protection as the BFG's, mine have a few scratches/tears from moderate terrain. I really like the Toyo Open Country, but wanted something I could turn the truck back in with at the end of the lease (i.e., 2% of OE).

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Nathan are you confusing the Yokohama AT-S and the Toyo Open Country AT? I know Nitto is owned by Toyo, and their AT tires are very similar in tread/compound.

Yes I am mistaken! I meant the Toyo's are about the same as the Nitto's, not the Yoko's. Good catch!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nathan, based solely upon offroad performance, what tire has been your favorite and that you'd buy again?

That completely depends on what kind of off roading you do. For me, for general purpose California style off roading, my Nittos were the best I have run because I never got a flat and they offered excellent traction all around. I think the Coopers have even better traction, but I have not tested their durability nearly to the same degree as I did the Nitto's. Having said that, around here, I think the BFG's are probably the best all around tire, except for mud, where the Coopers seem to do pretty well.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what Spiker or any of the other guys who did the Great Divide with the Coopers would say about their durability...?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635