Most fun I've had driving int he snow in a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chances you will attend Winter Romp in Maine this year?... or anybody else for that matter?
I wish!!!

I am currently living in CA, but also part time in southern UT.

I do travel back to MA about 6-8 times a year, but don't think I can make it at that time.

I hope some folks from this forum go - would love to see photos.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to do Winter Romp next year, but can't this year. Good to know though. I had no idea about it.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt. I drove the car on snow with OEM tires on up until today an it was very good in terms of the AWD, but breaking and turning were less than ideal. That was all fixed with the hakkas and the traction was just comically good with my foot on the gas.
This is great feedback. I stopped by the board to look up info on the Nokians and saw this thread first.

Are you planning to use them just as a winter tire, or all-year-round? And how is the interior noise when you're not driving in snow, compared to the stock Contis? Edit to add: I realized after I re-read your post you got the Hakkas, so I assume you're just using them as winter tires. I was looking at the Nokian WRG2s as a year-round tire since I don't see that much snow. Still, I would like to know what you're planning to use after winter is over, and what made you switch off the stocks of your practically new SUV.

I drove through snow today - which only happens for me 3 or 4 times a year - and the stocks were awful during breaking. They push a lot and while I don't drive through snow all the time now, once upon a time in my life I did, with far worse cars than this one (think Plymouth Gran Fury), and I consider myself well-versed in the ability to do so.

Anyway, long story short, I think the stocks need to go, but I am curious about cabin noise and whether you plan to put the Contis back on, or something else, when the weather improves.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WRG2 is the perfect year-round, all-weather tire if you don't see that much snow. We travel to Maine & Vermont to ski so we use Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires. These make a huge difference when braking & turning on snow and ice. However, these dedicated winter tires are not made to be driven year round like the WRG2.

In summer we drive on a beach, so we use the Cooper Zeon LTZs. Great tires, but expect a little more noise than the OE Contis.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is great feedback. I stopped by the board to look up info on the Nokians and saw this thread first.

Are you planning to use them just as a winter tire, or all-year-round? And how is the interior noise when you're not driving in snow, compared to the stock Contis? Edit to add: I realized after I re-read your post you got the Hakkas, so I assume you're just using them as winter tires. I was looking at the Nokian WRG2s as a year-round tire since I don't see that much snow. Still, I would like to know what you're planning to use after winter is over, and what made you switch off the stocks of your practically new SUV.

I drove through snow today - which only happens for me 3 or 4 times a year - and the stocks were awful during breaking. They push a lot and while I don't drive through snow all the time now, once upon a time in my life I did, with far worse cars than this one (think Plymouth Gran Fury), and I consider myself well-versed in the ability to do so.

Anyway, long story short, I think the stocks need to go, but I am curious about cabin noise and whether you plan to put the Contis back on, or something else, when the weather improves.

Thanks!

I have the OEM Contis still mounted on my OEM black package 19" wheels. I will use them from April through November. The Hakkas were mounted on used OEM 19" wheels I bought off ebay.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=144600&postcount=355

I've not driven them in the highway, but I can't tell any difference so far in terms of noise, handling, etc. But I would not use them year round. Warm temperatures will soften them too much and the ride will go south and they would wear much too quickly. They are dedicated winter tires.

Last edited:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have never been stuck (knock on wood) and the 23" in 2011 chicago snowpocalypse was no match.

image32_edited-1.jpg

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
repost from the goodyear vs copper thread, i live in Arkansas so not a lot of snow but we are right on the ice/snow/freezing rain line a lot this winter, certainly a dedicated winter tire is a no brainer in the winter but goodyear adventure tire does have a severe snow rating on some models of the tire but not the 19 inch version however, the nokian folks in finland definitely know winter tires but I think the goodyear adventure will be very likely to do better than the nokians in mud or non winter off road conditions and it has the kevlar sidewall protection :

"had our first snow of the year only 3 inches but enough to freeze all the roadways and i gotta say these tires did awesome, probably pulled 15 different cars up slick hills including a 4x4 4runner and gave a number of folks a ride home who had to abandoned their cars on hills, these tires performance in snow and the weight of the LR4 it was unstoppable

a huge improvement over stock tires and even over the scorpion atr"

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelins?

I noticed that I almost never hear Michelins being referenced on this tire threads. I have had Michelins in various forms for years on my "crossover" vehicles. I have Latitudes on my MDX and on my wife's CRV. Are Michelins not as good for a truck like the LR4 or for back country touring or moderate off road?

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that I almost never hear Michelins being referenced on this tire threads. I have had Michelins in various forms for years on my "crossover" vehicles. I have Latitudes on my MDX and on my wife's CRV. Are Michelins not as good for a truck like the LR4 or for back country touring or moderate off road?

they prob don't have much in the 19 inch size