Most fun I've had driving int he snow in a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theman

Reaction score
I'm new to LRs (recently picked up a 13 LR4) but not offroading. Did the Land Rover Equinox (VT) all day offroading on VT class IV roads in lots of fresh snow. Stock tires. Needed chains (only viable on the rears).

Back here in the lower Hudson Valley with all the recent snow we've had I've learned you can quickly get into trouble in the snow on the stockers.

Here's a few pics/vids for your mild entertainment

Only the first bit until the cam drops off the car is of interest. Shows the DSC working. We got stuck twice in this area on a slight grade. No chains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doxmE95q-2Q

Within the LE Experience course
http://youtu.be/YO14A4-5QCs

Photos not uploading. Ah well.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quijote, is your truck Corris Grey? I notice you have black lettering on the front but not black wheels so not the Black Package.

I ask because our order was committed a week ago (just found out today) and it is Corris Grey. So we are stuck with it now. :smile:

It seems to show up well in the snow!

Yes. Those are snow tires mounted on used OEM wheels bought on eBay. The stock black wheels with the contis are in the garage.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=144600&postcount=355

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just took mine for trip to Snowshoe during "Quintus" last week. Nothing like 26 inches in four days to test your LR4. I've driven it plenty in snow, but nothing like this. I think mid-Atlantic snow is the worst, too, BTW. It usually hovers around 30 degrees here which creates that wet, slick affect.

Overall, great. Crossing mountains where other cars were fishtailing and spinning, the LR4 just cruised. Stopping, still not so great, though. This vehicle, with the stock tires, will slide like none other. Getting the Nokians or other winter rubber might be on my list for next winter for this purpose.

I really think the 2014 and up models will suffer in the winter from not having a shifter, though. Yes, they will have the paddles, but many times going down hill I prefer to keep the car in non-snow mode and just throw the shifter into sport. The car downshifts easier and you don't have to futz with downshifting as much (as you do in snow mode). If you do manually downshift/upshift, you just flip the shifter back to regular and then back to sport. This is not as easy to do with the knob/paddle set up.

When going up and over mountains in the snow, quick and proper downshifts are crucial, especially if you have a heavy ride that wants to carry momentum through turns and down a cliff.

My two cents

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the shift "knob". It would not be so bad if they allowed you to use the paddle shifters while in Drive as I can on my MDX. I understand this is available on the Evoque.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The knobs are dumb, anyway you slice it. A) They don't perform as well, B) they add more electronics to what was a simple manual item, C) I think most drivers are used to and enjoy the gear shift. It's ingrained in the membrane. . .to paraphrase Cypress Hill.

Damn cutsie designers.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny after a week with a Evoque loaner I totally disagree about the round shifter and its difficulty of use.

First of there's literally no difference between going up and down with the old school shifter and going left and right with the "new" round shifter. I believe that the electronics are exactly the same or very similar.
Second, shifting from drive to sport and back, or using the paddle shifters and going back to sport or drive is really easy and does not require any additional work (obviously no paddles before MY 14). Same with going from sport to drive and back.

On the Evoque, you can use the paddles both in drive and sport and I know that my IIDTool offers the option to enable the paddle shifters so I believe the dealers can do it too.

To be totally honest, being from Europe I've only had manual cars as well as DSG type. I'm still somewhat confused about the necessity to have a somewhat "useless" shifter as in my 2010. At the same time, I have to admit that this automatic gearbox works flawlessly (I really like the engine brake in sport). I've driven the 8 speed and I believe that it's a fantastic transmission.

This is just my opinion and I think that with a little time we will all adapt to the new round shifters (plus paddles) and be happy with it. Just a few years back, cars in the US had 3 or 4 speed (... Subaru still have 4) and a column shifter ;)

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see you point, but when I'm white knuckled going down a mountain, I can flick the gear shifter over to sport in an instant. I don't want to have to look down at the knob and make sure I'm not turning it from D-N instead of D-S. Yes, the paddle shifts work the same as the shifter, but that ability to easily flick from D-S and back is really helpful when driving hairy roads.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also prefer to use engine compression on hills. I would feel better if the paddle shifters worked in Drive as I would just leave it in drive. Since they don't, I will likely shift to S at the top and leave it there until I get to the bottom. I do much prefer the paddle shifters for these up/down shifts rather than having one hand on the gear shifter and one on the wheel. I just wished they worked in Drive. But not a big deal for me. S isn't that bad if I am going to be in control anyway.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snow tires are everything for three reasons: 1) stickiness on ice, 2) snow tractions, and 3) turning ability in deep snow.

IMHO, the two best dedicated winter tire brands are Bridgestone Blizzak & Nokians. Why? They meet all three requirements.

*Tire compound really determines #1, and tire compounds are patented.
*Tread configuration really determines #2, and Nokain & Blizzaks have great channels for snow.
*Tread edge angles really determine #3, and Nokian & Blizzaks have the best (closest to 90 desgree) edge angles.

You can FEEL #1 and #2 with good snow tires, and you can SEE #3 by looking at a picture of the tire. If you want, I can post pics...

My $0.02 based on 11 years in Park City, UT with 350+ inches of snow per year, driving 35k miles per year on our Disco II, LR3 & now LR4 to and from Salt Lake City daily. And btw - we are now running the 20s and they rock. No need to go with smaller diameter wheels unless you want to drive through 2-3 feet of snow un-plowed... Then, go small and narrow!

-B

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've enjoyed great traction and had a lot of fun in the snow up here in CT (I also find myself looking for snow instead of avoiding it). Turning isn´t that great though, but I blame that on the stock Contis. Next Winter I´ll get some nice snow tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM