LR4 Tow Assist - does it exist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4Dave

Reaction score
I am a happy new owner of a Rimini Red LR4. I've only had it for a week now, and I think I've figured everything out except one feature - Tow Assist.

My LR4 is an HSE PLUS (not LUX PLUS) but does have the 5 camera (CAM) option installed. I don't have a Tow Assist button as shown in the manual. The dealer seems to know absolutely nothing about the feature, and can't tell me if I should have it or not. They claim it doesn't exist in the USA, only UK, etc, even though it's clearly talked about in the manual and 2010 USA brochure.

I plan to use the LR4 to tow a tent trailer, and have already installed an electric brake controller, trailer wiring, and hitch. I thought the wiring harness might enable the feature, but no luck..

Does anyone out there have a LUX PLUS that shows the Tow Assist button on the CAMERA window of the touchscreen?

Thanks,
Dave

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the US model HSE Lux Plus but don't have the button. I was expecting or wondering rather if the button will show up once I put the two wiring and enable the feature in the system (CCF or Car Configuration FIle only accessable by the dealer). It batter be as it clearly states on the windows sticker that I have the Tow Assist and same thing in the owners manual.
The claim that it's only for UK better be a BS by a saleman. :mad:

LR4Dave

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I installed the towing electrics (VPLAT0013), and Prodigy electric brake controller myself - but did nothing regarding the CCF. Maybe that's my problem? Maybe when the dealer installs the towing harness they also enable the feature in the CCF.

BTW, all the lights and trailer brakes seem to work without this setting, but maybe the towing features are not enabled by default.

Dave.

curth2o

Reaction score
LR Dave
Did you install the wiring harness for the trailer hitch yourself or did you have the dealer install it?

pharden

Reaction score
When you install the LR trailer wiring harness, does the dealer have to enable it or will it work out of the box? If you look at the instructions, the last step shows a picture of a laptop etc.

Cheers, Paul

curth2o

Reaction score
I just left the dealer and they agreed to let me install the wiring harness, which was not difficult at all. But they said I had to bring it in to the to program. They say it takes about 30 min to do that piece. It was nice because letting me do the install saved me a couple hundred dollars in labor. So now I just have to pay for the 30 min to do the programing.

holygrail

Reaction score
Why pay labor??

I just left the dealer and they agreed to let me install the wiring harness, which was not difficult at all. But they said I had to bring it in to the to program. They say it takes about 30 min to do that piece. It was nice because letting me do the install saved me a couple hundred dollars in labor. So now I just have to pay for the 30 min to do the programing.

Hello everyone...this is my second day on this site. Question. Why are the dealership charging installation fees for installing a trailer hitch. Most SUVs have that as an option. I'm sorry, I haven't taken delivery of the 2011 LR4 yet. I instructed the dealer to have it ready in January. Therefore, I'm only familiar with the option lists and not the accessories. I'm limited with litterature on accessories here in Afghanistan and I ordered the 2011 over the phone, so I have to wait until I return to the States end of this year. The online list and descriptions on accessories are completely unsat to my liking. But I made sure that ALL accessories that I like to install before I pay for the car, will be installed free of charge, meaning no labor costs. I told them that charging me labor charge on something that's going to be rolled into my sticker price would be a sure way of starting a bad customer/dealer relationship.

I'm having them install the Side door panel molding (protection), or whatever it's called, the side impact bar, the trailer hitch w/ all the wiring you guys are talking about, and possibly the bumper guard with fog lights. The accessory list doesn't explain whether they need to drill holes in the bumper in order to install the guard. If yes, than I'll scrap that option. I'm not paying any installation fees.

Thanks,
Chris

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any accessaries sold and installed by the dealer is an extra charge basically. this is same for any dealer. However, most often, when you negotiate the price of car, accessaries are often rolled into the deal including parts and even labor. It all depends how you negotiate. Person A negotiates $4000 off the MSRP and pays seperate for tow wiring. Person B negotiates $3500 but got the tow hitch installed as a deal. What's the difference? That doesn't mean Person B got the tow hitch installed free.

Regarding tow wiring, most domestic SUVs come with it standard but not all foreign models do. Most often, tow hitch is an extra cost option.

Al Rodriguez

Reaction score

Are the instructions available on line or do they come with the harness, I plan on ordering a harness off ebay for 145.00 but the dealer it would be close to 3 hours of labor at 110.00/hour, they also said the rear bumber has to be removed. I have a 2011 LR4.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
off ebay for 145.00

That's $145 plus $15 shipping. $160 total. If you want to save few more bucks, try this place.

http://www.carpartsestore.com/search.php?pg=1&stext=VPLAT0013&sprice=&stype=&****=&sman=

$130.77 free shipping plus $4.95 handling fee per order. I haven't used their service but I am about to place an order including this and several items which I find the price way cheaper then ebay and parts.com.

VPLAT0013 is the part number.

Also install instruction should come with the kit, if not, all accessory install instructions can be downloaded from land rover.

http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/
choose your language, pick your car, click Owner (upper right below help button), click Accessory Fitting Instruction menu on the left. Click Towing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72