overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

holland

Reaction score
i have a 03 freelander 2.5 kv6 with overheating issues. temperature guage will periodically spike. changed thermostat and that did not help any advice?

TheCheng

Reaction score
You say that the temperature spikes periodically. How often? Does it do this at random, after a certain running time, or under certain condittions (hill climbing etc)? We have the same car that can drive miles over very hilly roads without any problems one day and then the next day blow all the water out after a few minutes easy driving. The head gaskets, thermostat and pressure cap have been renewed by the LR dealer but no luck so far.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a ground issue at the temp sensor.

TheCheng

Reaction score
Thanks, Joey, but how would that cause the sudden high pressure in the cooling system to the point that it lifts the pressure cap?

godspeed

Reaction score
i have a 03 freelander 2.5 kv6 with overheating issues. temperature guage will periodically spike. changed thermostat and that did not help any advice?

Once the six cylinder starts to overheat it will intermittently leak upper cylinder pressure into the coolant, get a freelander cooling kit to prevent higher pressure and hotter running temps from happening and blowing your engine.

here is the info
--------------------
here is some info from landroverforums.com:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey I get a bunch of e-mails about the kit, you can get it doing a search on e-bay

"Freelander Cooling Kit" or "Land Rover Freelander Cooling Kit "
the freelander with the first prototype is running awesome and just passed 140k miles!
also other benefits is the oil stays crystal clear between oil changes and it does not lose it's viscosity due to the high running temps.

here is the info from ebay

---------------------------------
If you have a Land Rover Freelander you know about the common engine failure, usually between 50k - 90k miles, these vehicles are nice but will not forgive you when the engine overheats, it will self destroy. the engine is was designed with different metal/steel alloys that when they overheat the expand at a very different rate and engine fails.

The entire system works great but borderline hot, so any small problems with the cooling system will be lethal, the common reason is a cracked coolant reservoir, or hose rupture, again the reservoir will crack or the hoses will fail because the engine just runs a little hotter that it should, the coolant components will crack or blow due to the excessive pressure and sustained high temperature, if you look at the temp needle, it likes to be close to the middle.

So if you have a Freelander or will buy one, do yourself a favor and buy a "Freelander Engine Cooling Kit" which is a set of relays, wires and connectors that installs in minutes and reduces the operating temperature by turning the fan (s) at a different temperatures than the programmed by factory without interfering with the a/c and other components.

This is the cheapest insurance, it will help you avoid a 5,000.00 bill replacing a freelander engine.

This is a device that prevents damage, it will not fix the damage if it already ocurred, (however it will help in cases where the damage is mild)

As all electrical components, there are no refunds, only replacement if defective. all kits are tested before shipping to insure reliability

Important: even if device fails, the factory system still works as originally described

KIT INCLUDES: DEVICE AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

TheCheng

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Godspeed. That makes sense. We noticed that the car suddfenly spits out all of its coolant when it slows down after a run. While it keeps moving at speed, there is no problem, no matter what the RPM/load is and this would indicate that the electric fans are coming on just a lttle too late after the natural airflow reduces.
The temperature sensors indicate temperature by resistance change, so this cooling kit must just change the output resistance to fool the ECU that the temperature is higher at all times than it actually is. This can be done by either adding a resistor in series or parallel, depending on the type of sensor - resistance increases with temperature rise or decreases with temperature rise. Does anyone know what type of sensors are fitted?

knoxethan

Reaction score
i have the some problem
we changed the water pump, themo, 5 x expansion tank ,
this kit "Freelander Cooling Kit" how much is it and where can i find it? what parts are in the kit?
some one told me thata gas can be coming through the expansion tank so need to change the head gasket how sure is this?

knoxethan

Reaction score
i have the some problem
we changed the water pump, themo, 5 x expansion tank ,
this kit "Freelander Cooling Kit" how much is it and where can i find it? what parts are in the kit?
some one told me thata gas can be coming through the expansion tank so need to change the head gasket how sure is this?

knoxethan

Reaction score
any one with an ideal where i can download microcate land rover parts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72