ARB/Engel Fridge - Who's Got One??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at possibly getting one of these for our longer trips and adventure weekends. Was looking to see if anyone had experience or pictures inside their LR4? Also what size you have and if you would go with that size again?

michal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an ARB 50g fridge and it is simply awesome! No complains and it can survive heavy beating :)

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, as I start to research this some it seems like the 12v plug in the back of the truck probably isn't sufficient. How has anyone wired their truck to support the fridge?

michal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 12v plug is sufficient. No issues there

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen Michal's set up in person and it's great. I have the ArkPak (as does Michal) and planning to get a fridge at some point. A few guys in my LR club have the fridge and I love it.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, as I start to research this some it seems like the 12v plug in the back of the truck probably isn't sufficient. How has anyone wired their truck to support the fridge?

It is only an issue if you expect your fridge to run when the truck is off. For that, you are best to rewire it.

I have two fridges, a newer ARB and an older Engel. The Engel is pushing 10 years without a single issue. Both are equally great.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had an Edgestar FP430 43q fridge/freezer for several years now. It's a great, inexpensive unit (you definitely won't mistake it for an Engel or ARB, but it's hard to beat the Edgestar for $450 or so) and the stock battery and 12v socket will do just fine, these fridges draw very little amperage when they're running, and if they are efficient they will not be running much after they reach the desired cooling temperature. If you will be using them for extended periods of time - overnight in very hot climates for example, or for several days without running the car's engine - an auxiliary battery may make sense, however.

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is only an issue if you expect your fridge to run when the truck is off. For that, you are best to rewire it.

I have two fridges, a newer ARB and an older Engel. The Engel is pushing 10 years without a single issue. Both are equally great.

@NASdiesel what size do you have? I saw where you posted pictures in the Accessories thread.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear the outlet in the back is sufficient to power the fridge. I had read over in Expedition Portal that it wouldn't work and people had issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72