Asfir 4x4 sump guard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, the Tactical 4x4 rock sliders extend far under the car and fully enclose EAS compressor and reservoir. The lower acoustic cover for the compressor, which creates that bulge hanging low under the car, will need to come off to install the sliders, but the sound insulation will be removed from the plastic shell and applied between compressor body and sliders, so I don't expect the air pump to run much noisier despite the removal of its lower cover. And even if it is a bit noisier, the thought of if being protected by a thick steel plate rather than a flimsy plastic cover will make the extra noise quite bearable...

Umbertob,
are you installing this or are you having a shop do it? If a shop, any idea on time and price. Mind if I ask where? I live in Northern San Diego, so I might use your shop, i think you are in socal...I might get the sliders soon...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am installing them myself. Well, I'll give it a shot, anyway. They are supposed to be bolt-on, although I imagine some bolts and other existing plates / trim from the vehicle need to bolt off first... Asfir didn't tell me which ones - there are no install instructions enclosed, just a parts diagram (did you get any install instructions with your sump guard, LR4TQ?)

Will tackle this next week, right now the guard is being powder coated flat black at a nearby shop.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool. send pictures of rock slider install! I would curious to hear how it goes. My assumption is the asfir front skid plate wont be too hard....but i appreciate you being the beta/guinea pig for us :)

Good luck!

-cs

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops... Misread your question. I am installing the Asfir aluminum skid plate by myself, but the rock sliders will be installed by the Tactical 4X4 guys themselves (their warehouse + shop is in Menifee, not far from Temecula, so they are probably much closer to you than they are to me...) 35 lbs for the sump guard I can handle, but I ain't lifting 200+ lbs of steel plates, no way Jose. :biggrin:

Last edited:

LR34

Reaction score
I am installing them myself. Well, I'll give it a shot, anyway. They are supposed to be bolt-on, although I imagine some bolts and other existing plates / trim from the vehicle need to bolt off first... Asfir didn't tell me which ones - there are no install instructions enclosed, just a parts diagram (did you get any install instructions with your sump guard, LR4TQ?)

Will tackle this next week, right now the guard is being powder coated flat black at a nearby shop.

I am thinking about sliders as well, and I reviewed the LR instructions for their side tubes as a potential installation guide. It shows how to remove the cover on the rocker panel and I assume it shares some of the same bolt hole locations with third party sliders.

Here is the link to the land rover website pdf of the instructions:

http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/t...ages=0&navpanes=0&view=FitH?clicked=undefined

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that was the case, but i didn't want to call you out! :biggrin:
Yeah, I live in Carlsbad, so menifee isnt bad. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost + installation...i see the list for parts only is about 900.

Anything we need to worry about in regards to warranty, or the sliders effecting ability to service vehicle, etc. Sorry for the dumb question, just covering my bases.

chris

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am saving this thread if I decide to order everythign! :) I would have it installed by someone, but curious to read more and see photos!!!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't paid for them yet, but I am getting a sizable discount for being a SCLR member (they are a club sponsor, one of the reasons I am going with them, I know these guys as we've been wheeling together many times.) Plus, free installation... because I will be a guinea pig for them as I am the first 2013 MY they fit. According to them, there is a chance a larger EAS air pump Land Rover has allegedly started using on 2013s may require a slight mod to their sliders. So, if they don't fit quite right they may have to modify them and I may have to tale a second trip to Menifee... But in exchange for a free custom installation, that's a chance I am willing to take.

Warranty issues? Like any other aftermarket modifications, there may be some - if the dealer can directly blame sliders or plates for the problem your car is experiencing. The driver's side slider would need to come off for servicing air tank or compressor, which would likely add an hour of labor to a hypothetical repair bill. I can live with those risks as I want to enjoy my LR4 off road as soon as possible...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72