Asfir 4x4 sump guard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Urban Offroad - http://www.urbanoffroad.us/index.ph...teering-differential-engine-skid-plate-1.html - Email Derek, he'll give you a better deal: [email protected] - SHOP: (877) 485-4170 - MOBILE: (818) 378-4790

Regarding powder coating, I asked my local body shop since they don't do it, and found out there is a powder coating shop 3 blocks away from my office. They charged me $100, not sure if that's a good deal or not but for a hundred bucks I thought it wasn't worth shopping around... They did do a great job. Or google "powder coating carlsbad, CA", I am sure something nearby will pop up.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Interesting that the Asfir skid doesn't go as far back as the Devon which is why you don't have the fun issues I've had with the corss member/exhaust.. :cool:

I'm going to call asfir today for the rear diff protection. Will likely powder coat that one.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks umbertob....and yes, google does work :) (sorry!)
I think making it black would look good even on my silver lr4 (without the 2013 black trim option)

thanks for all of your help

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Urban Offroad - http://www.urbanoffroad.us/index.ph...teering-differential-engine-skid-plate-1.html - Email Derek, he'll give you a better deal: [email protected] - SHOP: (877) 485-4170 - MOBILE: (818) 378-4790

Regarding powder coating, I asked my local body shop since they don't do it, and found out there is a powder coating shop 3 blocks away from my office. They charged me $100, not sure if that's a good deal or not but for a hundred bucks I thought it wasn't worth shopping around... They did do a great job. Or google "powder coating carlsbad, CA", I am sure something nearby will pop up.
Hey umbertob,

I love that sump guard - looks great. Might be worth the drive down to Carlsbad :)

-David

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto,
It looks like I am going with Asfir sump guard. I like how powdercoting make it disappear.
Do you have tactical rovers transfer case skid plate?
I am planning on ordering it so I would like to know if there is any interference as for mounting
Thanks in advance.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the t-case skid plate. There was an issue mounting it on my 2013 back when I got fitted for my rock sliders and fuel tank plate (also from Tactical 4x4) early last year, so I ended up not buying it. I understand that the fitting issues have now been resolved with modification of a mounting bracket, so you should have no issues fitting it on yours.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto,
Did you take any pictures when installing your Asfir skid plate? I received mine today and planning to install it over the weekend. Of course there were no instructions included. Does Asfir go over existing factory underbody panels or something has to be removed before in addition to a plastic tow hook cover?
In what order did you install it? I thought I would ask you those questions to save myself frustration during the install.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed both factory sump splasguards, don't remember if they get in the way or not honestly, but regardless, they become redundant dead weights with the Asfir guard installed. I also removed the small plastic spoilers in front of the wheels. Useless as well, and you can actually break them off road. Regarding the install, I am afraid I forgot how I did it... Pretty sure I started with the larger rear section though, very loosely attaching center and rear sets of bolts first. IIRC, the front anchors for that plate are shared as anchor points for the front guard as well, in an interesting stacked arrangement of plates, bolts, washers and locking bars that need to slide into a chassis rail just right before the whole thing can be tightened in place (there were no instructions with mine either, but a one-page packing list / diagram kinda showed where the various nuts and bolts went.) Perhaps Ivan, who just installed his, has a more vivid memory of the procedure. Once you slide under the car and start playing with the guards to see where they bolt on, the whole process will become fairly clear.

A floor jack will help tremendously to lift the heavier of the two plates up against the chassis to bolt it on. And strategically position a. couple of jack stands before you venture under the car. Never trust the air suspensions with your life. I know it's common sense, but some folks don't seem to have any, they just put it in off road height, open a door and figure that's all the safety steps they need to take before working under the car.

Last edited:

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the gear one in place. Could only bolt on 4 cuz the 2 middle bolts just did not reach (will go in search of longer ones). Notice some oil on the old skid plate so I took it in that was 3 day ago... I miss my LR. Once I get it I'll put them on they all go in the same holes except for the front ones they need to go into right next to the ones that hold those little bumper mudguards or whatever those LR designers think there good for.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I am still confused. When I look under the truck it looks like existing black metal plates are mounted on at least 10 bolts. Asfir plate takes 6. :confused::confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM