'00 Disco2 intermittent start problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you go and replace the sensor, try something. Before cold starting, turn the ignition key to the 2nd. position then off again, do this 3 time, holding it there for 5 seconds. On the 4th. turn, try starting it.
Based on what you are describing I don't think you need a sensor, when they start acting up, they won't start till cooled off.
Let me know what you find.

leej

Reaction score
Mike, thanks.

I tried your suggestion and it started. Just to make sure I followed your instructions: with the engine cold, I turned the key to 2nd position and and waited 5 seconds, then turned it off, then repeated this process. On the fourth time, I tried starting and it started... (I actually did this twice, and it started both times). Is this the right procedure?

What exactly is this procedure testing for? Does the fact that it started tell you anything?

Thanks again for all the input...

Lee
2000 D2 (starts sometimes...)

leej

Reaction score
Crank Shaft Position Sensor installed - STARTS GOOD

I installed the new crankshaft position sensor, and I believe my problem is solved.

I'm certainly no mechanic or expert, but below is some info on my experience. Also, here is a link to a short you tube video I found on replacing the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) on a Discovery 2; unfortunately this video does not address unplugging and plugging the connector back which is the most difficult part in my opinion (note: this is not my video, but I did find it helpful):

YouTube- D2 CPS install

I put the Discovery up on ramps to have better access to the crankshaft sensor (opposite the starter). I did not drop the exhaust as some others have suggested.

From underneath laying on a creeper, I removed the two bolts holding the cover using a 7mm socket, and then I removed the two sensor nuts using 8mm socket, and there was a spacer that slid off each bolt as well. Then I simply wiggled the old sensor out. All of this was pretty easy with no real problems.

Removing the connector was a different story. It took me a while to even figure out a way to get to this. Note, I have medium/average size hands (if my hands were any bigger, I'm not sure I could have done this at all), The connector is attached to a small bracket that is open on one side (I could see the bracket from underneath the truck). From the top of the car (standing on a small stool) under the hood, I could feel the connector with my hand slid down the fire wall just behind the manifold. By feel, I slid the connector out of the bracket (it is hard to see from the top), and then struggled with one hand to "pinch" the release on the plastic connector, and the other hand to pull the sensor wire connector out. After several unsuccessful attempts and much frustration, I was successful. To connect the new sensor, I continued from the top (the sensor was not yet installed, I wanted to get the connectors plugged in first before installing the sensor to give me some extra play while trying to plug the connectors in). I have seen other suggestions of putting the new crankshaft sensor connector plug into the bracket, and then plugging the harness plug into the sensor connector (using the bracket to hold the sensor connector) - I could not accomplish this, but maybe this is the easier method. I held the harness connector against something on the engine with one finger (couldn't really see what it was against), and used my other fingers and other had to push the sensor connector into the harness connector and somehow I got lucky and they snapped together. It took another ten minutes to get the connected connectors back into the bracket that holds them (apparently the bracket slides in between a groove where the two connectors meet (if this makes any sense)).

Once the new sensor was connected, I got back underneath the truck which was on ramps (plastic ramps are great and sure beat the old metal ones), and wiggled the new sensor in place, slid on the spacers and installed the nuts, and then the cover with bolts. Again, installing this sensor and cover was pretty easy, it was the connector that was the problem.

Total job was about an hour and a half. Most of this was due to the connector, and that it was very cold and my hands simply got numb (its hard to feel around an engine when you can't feel your fingertips).

I have started it about 10 times since in various situations (cold, warm, and hot) with no problems, and I assume all is good and that my problems was a failing sensor.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Lee
00 D2 (that starts consistently now)

Buffalo1

Reaction score
I am experiencng similar problems on my 2000 D2 with 112,000 miles on itand found this searching the archives. My problem as it started was identical to Lee's however on the third time it happened, it would not start even after sitting over night. However, I tried Mike's second position, start on the 4th time starting sequence, and that did not work. Is it still reasonable to believe my issue is the crankcase position sensor as well. I have a reader, and it is not throwing any codes at all.

Thanks for the great post and information contained within.

Best,
John

leej

Reaction score
Hi John

Sorry to hear you are having similar problems. I wasn't getting any codes either, the engine would just turn over and over and never start, then on the 2nd, 6th, or 10th try (no pattern) it would just start right up, and run fine. There were a couple of times I couldn't get it started until a couple of days later (I didn't try every day)...

I am no expert, but someone else said that the diagnosis for a faulty crankshaft position sensor was to replace it and see if it fixes it... Unfortunately this may be your only option unless you find some additional information. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regardless, my suggestion would be to try replacing it, it really wasn't that difficult (with the ramps) except for plugging in the new sensor's connector plug which was a real pain. Good luck and please post any results.

Lee
2000 D2

Buffalo1

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in posting the results. Sure enough it was the sensor. The removal and installation of new sensor went as planned...including the difficulty in plugging together the connections. After walking away in frustration, I solicited the assistance of a second set of hands and a wire coat hanger. I made a hook out of one end to grab the top half of the connection and had a friend slightly pull that end away from the motor and down towards the ground. I got underneith manueverd the sensor end into position, and click, it plugged right in. Less than 30 seconds! I would highly recommend grabbing some assistance for a minute or two in lieu of the 30 minute knuckle busting frustrion of going it alone trying to make the connection.

Thanks for all of the info included in the thread.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99