01' Discovery Mechanical Questions (noises?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

leifwilson

So i have a 2001 Discovery SE with 41k, i had a few questions i hope someone could help me out with. Is it typical for this year Discovery to have a lot of transmission noise at speeds under 10 mph? I used to own a 98' Discovery and when i put it in 4h it would make the same growling noise and vibration. The 01' is AWD i know but that is what the sounds and growling remind me of. Does anyone know of a problem that would exacerbate this noise. It just doesn't sound normal to me. Thanks for the help ahead of time!!!!!!

D

discomike

Are you talking about an automatic or manual transmission?
Discos and many other 4wheelers have always had some noise, Discos have some t/case noise also.
How often do you service it?
Mike J.

L

leifwilson

Sorry it is an Automatic. It was just serviced and Land Rover South Bay in Redondo Beach CA. says it is normal. I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem with either the transfer case or front drive shafts that creates a louder than normal noise and i could have it fixed under my warranty.

D

discomike

OK, I have an idea. Most early D2's did not have grease fittings on the fron drive shafts double cardan joints and they are known to fail early, first getting noisey then breaking.
Crawl iunder you truc and look at the front drive shaft where it attaches to the t/case, see if you can see 2 grease fittings one on each of the u-joints in the double cardan.
Get back to me.
Mike J.

S

SteveA

Leif,

Your 2001 Discovery is NOT AWD. It has the same permanent 4wd that your 98 did. In fact, both vehicles have the very same LT230Q transfer case. It's very difficult to identify noises much less identify them without hearing them. I would guess that if your 98 made the same noise that your 01 is making, then it is probably normal. Again though, I really can't diagnose the noise from what you have said.

Stephen

L

leifwilson

Disco Mike

So i checked out the U joints and there are no grease fittings there, Sorry it took so long to get back to you with that. When i had the hood up i noticed that the noise seemed to be coming from what i believe is the ace pump, Now i know that those pumps are loud but this has to be excessive. It sounds like the bearings could be going or something. I believe it is the ACE pump. It is to the right of the A/C when facing the engine. It is on the top. I took the cover off that covers the two top pulleys because it sounded like the belt could be rubbing or something. The noise was still there and i believe that it is the pump and/or the pulley below the A/C? Any suggestions or am i looking in the wrong place? Thanks

D

discomike

OK, I have a thought, one there were a number of bad pulleys put on the early D2's and many were replaced on a recall or under warranty, that's one thought. Have you ever serviced your ACE, most likely not cause even the dealer don't mention this. If your ACE hasn't been serviced and the filter changed you could have some back pressure and or lacquered up valves causing the noise.
Mike J.

L

leifwilson

Should i try the lucas or just take it to the dealer? I am still under warranty. If i have them service the ACE Should i then add the lucas P/S fluid?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM