2002 Freelander Rear Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grey Eagle

Reaction score
By rear door, I mean on the back or in some cases, they call it the rear hatch if it raises up. In my case, the door will not open. I can lower the glass from the dash, but not by sticking the key in the rear door, although I can turn the key in the rear door and RAISE the glass. With the glass lowered though, the latch or handle on the back of the door will not release the door to open.

To make matters worse, I have a lazy boy lift chair in the back. I was wondering if anybody knows if this is a mechanical problem or an electrical problem.

Thanks!

Shermie

Reaction score
As a last resort, you can open the hood and disconnect the negative terminal of your car battery. Wait about 1 minute and reconnect. This should cause the read glass to lower automatically. This may reset the mechanism that controls the lock. Your problem may also be due to the fact that the latch may have come loose and jammed somehow.

Grey Eagle

Reaction score
Shermie,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I can use the control on the dash to lower the rear glass, but after I do, the key still will not unlock the door.

Do you know if the panel on the rear door can be removed from the inside with the door closed? I'm wondering if I can get that off, if I can see what's going on. I didn't know if there is just a mechanical latch, or if it's controlled by a solenoid or something else.

Thanks,

freelander2

Reaction score
My rear door randomly does not open (I am very aware that it freezes close so this other issue is not related hee in June) I am thinking it is an electrical issue. You can reset the battery and check the fuses. I could not get it to open with the key or anything, I think there is a little gremlin in the car. Eventually it opens. I hope you bought the extended warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4