2005 Lr3 Hse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

Michael

roverman said:
1/2 the gearing for off-road work?

The Jeep Rubicons have a 4:1 low range transfer case so the crawl ratio is in the high 60's, versus 45.6 for the LR3 with its 2.93 transfer case.

Wouldn't the Rubicon be closer to a $10K savings over a comparable LR3, the V6 model?

Michael

S

SeaRover

i paid 32 including license and tax. crawl ratio for the 6-sp manual rubi is

tranny x transfer-case x diffs

4.45 x 4.0 x 4.11 = ~73:1

the 5speeds were a bit lower, and the 4sp automatic isn't as good, coming in the high 50's IIRC.

the jeep is not as capable as my mildly built RRC on 33's and lockers but it is darn close. if i had half the cash in mods invested in the jeep it would easily outperform the rangie, largely due to the decrease in vehicle weight and better departure angle. the wheelbase of the unlimited is 103" vs. rangie 100". LR3 doesn't look so good there, however, coming in at 113" wheelbase ... that's a whole lotta breakover.

weight was a big concern for me, having dealt with my heavy and modded RRC coming in around 5k even. The LR3 is over 5800lbs; the big wrangler weighs in at 3800lbs ... that's one ton less vehicle.

personally i'm fed up with the luxury car market. the cars now are designed to self destruct in around 5 ~ 7 years. cloth seats, nylon door straps, and plastic surfaces are a welcome change from finding yet another broken or malfunctioning "feature" on a weekly basis. It's a damn car, not a space ship?!!

For once, I view luxury as being best expressed through simplicity. Had Land Rover imported the defender 90 for the same price as they sell them in the UK, I'd have spent a few grand more for ARB's no question. But, sadly, they don't, leaving off-road buffs like me out in the cold if looking for a new vehicle.

I encourage people with the LR3's to get them off-road. I think that when they are working, and equipped with good treads they'll prove to be equally adept in off-road chores as the older discovery. I simply wanted more than what the LR3 or even a Disco II can provide.

cheers

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SeaRover, I cannot disagree with your assement. I think out of the box, Jeep Rubicon's are amazing vehicles, and so inexpensive to upgrade it fills me with jealousy. However, when I drive back home after a day on the trail, my jealousy fades quickly away.

I have always maintained the notion that Jeeps are great secondary vehicles. But most if not all LR3 owners use it as their primary driver. That is the difference $20G makes. It's a comfort level thing.

S

SeaRover

nwoods said:
SeaRover, I cannot disagree with your assement. I think out of the box, Jeep Rubicon's are amazing vehicles, and so inexpensive to upgrade it fills me with jealousy. However, when I drive back home after a day on the trail, my jealousy fades quickly away.

I have always maintained the notion that Jeeps are great secondary vehicles. But most if not all LR3 owners use it as their primary driver. That is the difference $20G makes. It's a comfort level thing.

agreed. but Land Rover wasn't about comfort level for many decades. It was about making ... farm vehicles, essentially. it would be nice to have a more basic LR product available in the states.

As far as comfort goes, the jeep is more quiet than either of my 91 or 94LWB classics on the highway. leather steering wheel, cruise, air, and a decent CD system soon to be joined by my 30gig iPod (needs an adapter through DC) have made it fairly comfortable compared to even newer discos, at least IMO.

My personal circumstances make it easier to live with a jeep as a primary vehicle as well: I work from home and commute 5 miles round-trip per day to get my daughter to school. the extra amenities fade on the "fun scale" for me in the summer when you get top-down jaunts around the city.

For longer road trips we cheat. ... we still have the Jag

M

Michael

SeaRover said:
tranny x transfer-case x diffs

4.45 x 4.0 x 4.11 = ~73:1

Did they change the first gear ratio in 2006? I've seen it at 4.02 for the TJ Rubicon, giving a crawl ratio of 66.1. I know the 2007's are 73.1.

SeaRover said:
if i had half the cash in mods invested in the jeep it would easily outperform the rangie, largely due to the decrease in vehicle weight and better departure angle. the wheelbase of the unlimited is 103" vs. rangie 100". LR3 doesn't look so good there, however, coming in at 113" wheelbase ... that's a whole lotta breakover.

I'm looking at some departure angle specs for the '06 Rubicon Unlimited and it says it is 28.6 deg. while the LR3 is 29.6. Also the breakover angle for the Rubicon Unlimited is 22.2, and the LR3 is 27.6. Both figures for the LR3 are for the suspension in the full off-road height setting. It doesn't seem like the LR3 is particularly deficient in this regard.

SeaRover said:
I encourage people with the LR3's to get them off-road. I think that when they are working, and equipped with good treads they'll prove to be equally adept in off-road chores as the older discovery.

Can you get good treads for the LR3? It seems the tire options are pretty limited in the LR3 tire size.

Michael

S

SeaRover

Michael said:
Did they change the first gear ratio in 2006? I've seen it at 4.02 for the TJ Rubicon, giving a crawl ratio of 66.1. I know the 2007's are 73.1.

in fact they did. 2005-2006 models have the mercedes designed NSG3500 6 speed transmission with a 4.45:1 first. 2003-2004 model Rubicons have the NV3550 5-speed with a 4.02:1.

Michael said:
I'm looking at some departure angle specs for the '06 Rubicon Unlimited and it says it is 28.6 deg. while the LR3 is 29.6. Also the breakover angle for the Rubicon Unlimited is 22.2, and the LR3 is 27.6. Both figures for the LR3 are for the suspension in the full off-road height setting. It doesn't seem like the LR3 is particularly deficient in this regard.

those numbers are interesting. I'm having a tough time seeing how the LR3 with 10" longer wheelbase can have a better breakover angle than the unlimited rubi. I suspect this is due to the horrible, nasty stock skidplate that hangs down 5" more than it should on the jeep. this has been my biggest complaint for the jeep. it seems a 1" body lift and $300 skid plate will significantly improve those stats, but I kind of feel conned into buying aftermarket parts where the manufacturer clearly could have done better.
in fact, there are a couple different issues like this on the jeep, the bumpers being one of them. the bolt-on nature of the beast has made these fairly inexpensive and easy to correct, but it is annoying.

Michael said:
Can you get good treads for the LR3? It seems the tire options are pretty limited in the LR3 tire size.

Michael

they are rare. Goodyear made a version of the MT/R (as seen on the rubi in 245/75-16) in 255/55-19 for the G4 vehicles. Word has it that Nitto also is making their Tera Mud Grappler (very aggressive tread) in a similar size for an 18" rim. The 19" MT/R's are only available inthe UK, apparently, making them nearly impossible to get in the states.

so are you any where near Washington? Sounds like we need to get that LR3 of yours dirty :hello:

cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99