2015 vs. 2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katiebee4

Reaction score
So sorry I'm over-posting. I'm so appreciative of this forum, not being near an LR dealer. I'm learning so much from you all and getting close to what I want to buy.

Any changes between 2015 and 2016 models? I see both are available at dealerships. There's a 2015 I really like but I feel sort of dumb buying it right now since the 2016's are out. Even if there are no changes, I have to think for resale 2016 is much better. I drive few miles (Sold a 8 year old Volvo with only 50k miles on it) so it might be worth having a newer year model when I resell since I'm limited by the year, not the mileage.

The dealers in the area are implying that all LR4's sell for MSRP (and limited inventory seems to back that up). So I also feel silly paying MSRP for a 2015 when I see 2016s on other lots. Any idea if there is discount room available for the older model - I assume not much for the 16s...

I don't see the perfect '16 available yet but I'm hoping if I can wait a bit...

Thanks so much!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the only substantial change between the two model years is the implementation of the new UI in the infotainment system of the 2016, as first seen in the Disco Sport. The difference is mostly skin-deep (new buttons and menus with sharper graphics, swiping capability between screens, rumored better resolution from the optional surround cameras, perhaps the ability to display and reply to incoming text messages on the touchscreen), but nothing earth shattering. That, and perhaps a few new exterior colors and finishes as it is customary for every new model year.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You certainly are not limited to buying from the one dealer unless you are trying to get them to commit to picking your car up for each service since you previously indicated you are 3 hours away.

Inventory is not really low, it is about what it always is - these do not sell like an Explorer or Escalade, or whatever you want to compare it to. Land Rover sells around 7,000 LR4's per year in the US and only about 500 hundred in Canada.

A few people have mentioned getting 5% off MSRP pricing, not sure how easy that is unless you shop several dealers and are willing to travel a little.

Demo units are often a way to get thousands off the original MSRP with only 1-3 thousand miles on it and usually and extended CPO warranty as well. There will be 2015 demos around if you search, even more now that the 2016's are here.

Or, if you are not in a hurry, just order exactly what you want. Especially if you feel locked into MSRP, then you might as well get one the way you want it!

I tend to agree with you considering your circumstances, I would opt for the 2016 if there is not going to be any substancial savings compared to a 2015. It will make a difference when you go to sell it, even if the production date is really only 1-2 months different.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That, and perhaps a few new exterior colors and finishes as it is customary for every new model year.

By my own research and talking with my local sales manager, you are correct, practically no positive changes other than some of that app stuff.

Now, let's remember that often "changes" are not "+" but rather "-" items such as you mention the colors.

No longer available in LR4 are the Ivory seats on black interior, no ivory seats period. So they actually removed an interior color scheme.

On paint, they removed at least one but I've seen in person a cool looking Youlong White or grey that does not show up on the 2016 online "build". I NEVER trust the online builder though. A dealer will have the true list of what is available and can also talk about special orders the online source will never show.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You certainly are not limited to buying from the one dealer unless you are trying to get them to commit to picking your car up for each service since you previously indicated you are 3 hours away.

A few people have mentioned getting 5% off MSRP pricing, not sure how easy that is unless you shop several dealers and are willing to travel a little.

Demo units are often a way to get thousands off the original MSRP with only 1-3 thousand miles on it and usually and extended CPO warranty as well. There will be 2015 demos around if you search, even more now that the 2016's are here.

Or, if you are not in a hurry, just order exactly what you want. Especially if you feel locked into MSRP, then you might as well get one the way you want it!

I tend to agree with you considering your circumstances, I would opt for the 2016 if there is not going to be any substancial savings compared to a 2015. It will make a difference when you go to sell it, even if the production date is really only 1-2 months different.

To me, and go ahead start up your tourches ;) the price of a new LR4 is simply too high. To me it has surpassed it's cost/value balance. When I bought my LR3, I negotiated a bit off for price of $55k, loaded and with Java black a premium paint (in hind sight, I had no idea the paint would last so well, they said this one had "extra layers" which I assumed was nonsense)

At even $60k, I see an LR4 being what it should be, a solid "value" as much as one can consider a Land Rover ;) but at $70-$73,000 ....I don't see it in terms of buying a product to really deliver long term. I DO however see a Land Cruiser at $73,000 to be an awesome deal.

Now when you go to the used market, the table is turned a bit because the LR depreciates so much more and the LC does not hardly at all by comparison. An older LR4 with CPO...now that's a value I can support. I've bought a LOT of vehicles, mostly new or nearly new. Over $270,000 just in the Land Rover brand and have over 400,000 miles in LR seat time.

Used LR4's are the sweet spot right now in my opinion but if a person is ready to spend $73,000 on a Land Rover, then I think they might as well look at a Range Rover which at it's price point, begins to look like a proper value again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis