22" Redbourne Saxons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the other posts that an LR3 is not the best candidate for 22's, even if those HRE's do look nice.

When I first read this post yesterday, one image immediately came to mind.

51DyGxg2bQL._SS500_.jpg

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radionightster, I'm not going to give you any !# about wanting to put 22's on your
rig. As you said, "to each his own". But before you do, just take it offroad once. It
doesn't have to be on anything difficult or muddy. Just take it out and play with the
terrain response settings and explore a little. After you see what it can do offroad
and you are still hell bent on getting the 22's go for it! A lot of us who post to
this board are offroad enthusiasts, so don't take it personal if you get ribbed
about putting anything blingy on your truck. Good Luck!

I would like to agree with "duckdive", and "Houm WA" but I also agree with the saying to each his own. I would like to start of by defining a word. ROBUST- "consistent performance under a wide variety of conditions, said of a system that has demonstrated an ability to recover gracefully from the whole range of exceptional inputs and situations in a given environment. One step below bulletproof."

That said, vehicles can be robust in their own ways. Let's look at two completely different cars, a 1) Yugo, and the 2) LR3.

1) The Yugo. Besides of being the biggest piece of crap that came out of Eastern Europe, the car worked. It is robust in that it can move its passengers from point A to point B. However, as soon as snow entered the picture, or the vehicle was put into any situation other than a regular asphalt, the vehicle sucked. It spins out on snow, gets stuck in any other terrain except asphalt. The Yugo is NOT robust by any other means, but simply made to be cheap on money, and operate on limited conditions.

2) The LR3. The LR3 is the definition of robust. It has consistent performance under a wide variety of conditions, it has demonstrated an ability to recover gracefully from the whole range of exceptional inputs and situations in a given environment. Meaning it can not only drive on road, but off-road, including mud, sand, snow, rocks, cross rivers, and still get its passengers from point A to point B.

However to drive a true "sport Utility" the owners recognize that there are sacrifices. Sacrifices such as gas mileage, not being able to park in a "compact vehicle spot", taxes, and even congestion charges like in the UK. But most importantly, Land Rover owners, or those who actually value its abilities, would rather have its advantages over the disadvantages.

So yes, to each his own. This forum, and many of the others on this forum do not see the point in taking a "robust" vehicle, and limiting its performance abilities. I have no problem "radionightster" that you want to Dub your ride. But as I feel I can speak for many here, we value all the controls, mechanics, its abilities to operate in a variety of conditions that the Land Rover was engineered to do.

When Al Gore gets on TV and ******* about people driving SUVs for no reason just because they "look cool" or "beautiful", you misrepresent the nature which the Land Rover was actually made for. So hey... to each his own as you get from point A to B.

Last edited:

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I decided on the LR3 after seeing the pictures of the G4 and then watching some of the amazing things it can do off road on You Tube (i bought it for its off road ability not its on road ability, I can think of a lot of better cars for on road use only, my BMW X5 to name one) but if I ever thought about putting 22's on it (and I won't) I won't be discussing it here. Wow, talk about opening a hornets nests.:wink:

Trevor

SoCalLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LISTEN TO DUCKDIVE!!!!!
I bought my LR3 for my wife due to visibility safty and 3rd row ya I did the little off road course and then she wanted one. It made her feel safe. When I first got it I thought those rovers looked sweet when I was in vegas with 22" wheels n such. thought about pimping it out. Then I rembered the cheesy course we went on so I did a utube search saw hay this might be ok off road so I found a local club and whent on a run. Now this wasnt my first time off road I have had my fair shre off off road vehicles. WOW I am so happy I found out how capable this rig is. It was more capable than my cj5 with 33" tires and smmoth I was shocked. I am soooooooo happy I didnt go that way. Just take it off road 1 time call a local rover club or your dealer do 1 run If you decide THEN that this is not your thing Then go bling. We Chime in so LOUD about this becouse we care about rovers sometimes more than the owner. You wouldnt get Big Ben FLIPFLOPS to win the super bowl in?

Huh?

Anyway, who cares what this guy wants to do with his vehicle? Hell, put scissor doors on it, its yours. If you like the 22s, go for it. You will be the one driving it, not us.

Some realism is needed here. As much as it may pain some to say it, the LR3 is a street vehicle that has off-road capabilities. Its not the other way around.

radionightster

Reaction score
:)

I will never off-road the LR3. I have absolutely zero desire to do it. I don't enjoy that kind of thing at all. My LR3 will never see snow, and if I ever drive on dirt it won't be for more than 10 feet! I drive my LR3 to and from work and doing errands around town. I think it's an absolutely beautiful vehicle, and I picked it for it's exterior styling, it's perfect, gorgeous interior, and it's reviews in magazines as being one of the best SUVs.

I had the windows tinted today! 35% in the front, 15% for all the rears. Got the 22"s ordered, look them up, Redbourne Monarchs, the styling matches the factory well. Looks gorgeous :) I may even have my wheel well trim painted! Hah! :)

Thank you all for the advice.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you're just stirring the ***! Whatever you get (on this board) you deserve...but I'm done.

radionightster

Reaction score
Now you're just stirring the ***! Whatever you get (on this board) you deserve...but I'm done.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just can't believe the mindset here that if you don't off-road your $50,000 vehicle then you're wasting it.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just can't believe the mindset here that if you don't off-road your $50,000 vehicle then you're wasting it.

Well at least we now know what seperates the MEN from the boys; The balls they have with there toys:boxing:

I am done here.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is you asked us a bunch of strangers what your opinion should be. Since there is no practical value whatsoever to the 22s, you actually asked us what you like. Strange...

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
radionightster ,

All jokes aside, and since it looks like everyone's done giving you a hard time.. I honestly would like to see the finished product once you have the wheels put on. And not just so everyone can continue to rip into it... I really would like to see how it turns out.

Thanks holmes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM