3 car seats in an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using the seatbelt for the center convertible seat (my 4-YO twin girls sit behind me and in the middle respectively, 9-YO daughter sits on the rear passenger side, no car seat or booster required anymore, so I have easy access to the third row.) The seat belt and upper anchor secure the seat just as firmly as LATCH, although they're certainly more of a pain to set up. As a matter of fact, most car seat manufacturers warn you against using LATCH past a certain weight and use lap-and-shoulder belts instead.

In fairness to Land Rover, I have yet to find a car manufacturer that installs LATCH anchors in the center seat position. My wife has a Ford FLEX which is a huge barge / mommymobile thing with an even larger and wider second row bench than the LR4, no LATCH in the center either. Perhaps it's a safety thing?

Last edited:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using the seatbelt for the center convertible seat (my 4-YO twin girls sit behind me and in the middle respectively, 9-YO daughter sits on the rear passenger side, no car seat or booster required anymore, so I have easy access to the third row.) The seat belt and upper anchor secure the seat just as firmly as LATCH, although they're certainly more of a pain to set up. As a matter of fact, most car seat manufacturers warn you against using LATCH past a certain weight and use lap-and-shoulder belts instead.

In fairness to Land Rover, I have yet to find a car manufacturer that installs LATCH anchors in the center seat position. My wife has a Ford FLEX which is a huge barge / mommymobile thing with an even larger and wider second row bench than the LR4, no LATCH in the center either. Perhaps it's a safety thing?
my Honda odyssey has latch in the middle seat and in the third row seats as well.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LRNAD90

Reaction score

Toyota Sequoia (at least the original generation did), but yeah, center LATCH is really hard to find, its ridiculous if you ask me..

AceRider

Reaction score
The seat belt and upper anchor secure the seat just as firmly as LATCH, although they're certainly more of a pain to set up

How? I tried installing the base to my newborn's basinette seat in the center two days ago and it move all over the place. The ratchet seat belt has like 0.25-0.5" ratchets, so it's very difficult to get it tight, even when pressing down on the base and trying to get one more ratchet to click.

It seems like the metal clip that comes with the car seat would help, but my seat's manual specifically says that's only for a specific type of belt, which I think is not what the LR4 uses.

I'm thinking of installing something in BACK of the center seat to which the latch system could clip onto. Haven't thought it through yet, but seems like it wouldn't be too hard.

AceRider

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9