97 Discovery Transfer Case Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a wise idea, most are only partially rebuilt at best and usually are short lived.

Tim Wilson

Reaction score
re: transmission transfer case

Just by a rebuilt transfer case off of ebay and call it a day

Actually, I was hoping to isolate the problem to a specific bearing with the idea of changing it in place - providing it's accessible - to avoid pulling the entire transfer case. I know that's a long shot, but it's worth looking. If I have to cave and do the whole thing I'll buy a rebuild from Rovers North or Roverland.

Not sure what that driveshaft comment was all about ... the U-joints on my 97 have zerk fittings.

Tim Wilson

Reaction score
An update .... noise is present when the engine is revved with the transmission in gear and transfer case in neutral. It's there in all gears, forward and reverse. So I suspect the issue is with an input or intermediate gear bearing. Or bearings. SO ... out with the transfer case. Can those of you who've pulled one of these offer any advice? I've got a transmission jack, one of the low scissors-types ... do I really need the adapter plate described in the manual, or can this be done without that? Any other tips, things to avoid, things to not avoid, etc?

Tim Wilson

Reaction score
Update .... started into the transfer case R&R and pulled the PTO cover plate once I had the e-brake assembly off. The bearing behind the cover fell out in pieces as the cover came off .... obviously, that's the source of the noise. I have a replacement transfer case ready to go back in soon as I have this one down, but I'm tempted now to just take the input gear with bearings out of the replacement transfer case and install it in mine. The replacement transfer case is out of a 97 with a higher serial number than the one in my Disco ... I'm betting the shim-set preload is close enough that it won't matter. Any thoughts?

Tim Wilson

Reaction score
Does anyone actually read this forum? :) It's a moot point anyway ... I took the transfer case down. Kinda glad I did, because the transmission rear seal seems to be leaking too, though I haven't noticed a drop from it until now. Still, there's significant play in the output shaft. So more to come .... funny how one thing leads to another.

Reaction score
Still, there's significant play in the output shaft. So more to come .... funny how one thing leads to another.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim,
This is not a real active forum, but there are a number of us that do read the threads daily.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99