A New Alternator for my D1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hello !!! Well since I have replaced ALMOST everything on my Rover I have decided to replace the alt as well. I just went out and tested it and it seems to be putting out about 13.7V, which is about normal (normal being around 13.25V). It does drop under load ( i.e. the Air Conditioning and Brittney Spears..ha ha) to about 13.58V. Which under the circumstances is still "ok". My question is I REALLY want that Mean Green Alt however I understand that the Serpentine Belt has to be moved or rather relocated. Any thoughts or opinions about what I should chose? I have some extra time on my hands and I plan to do the work myself.
Thanks for any help !!
Melissa

D

dirtyjim

another option is the 120amp alt. from a 4.0-4.6 RR p/nAMR2938.its not as strong as the mean green but it bolts in with no modifications needed.

D

discomike

Melissa,
Have you actually had a load test performed on the battery and alternator? What made you think the alternator was going south???
Just curious,
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
A load test ?? Hmm? No I guess not. I just went out there and measured the volts with my voltmeter (put the wires on the battery red/black wires). I just assumed that it was time for a new alt. The rover has about 77K miles on it and I hate the feeling I get when the Rover will not start and I am stranded @ a truck stop. Preventative measures maybe ... I am jumping to conclusions? The alternator on my J*** bailed @ 125K miles but the J*** was a very different auto than the Rover.

D

discomike

Hmmmmm! Is right.
No alternator for you, not at least for the weird starting problem you have been having. Think about it, when you turn the key the engine turns over, right, and at the same speed it always did, right?? The fact that it won't start is another problem. Quit trying to stimulate the economy.
Now as for what is going on with your truck and the starting problem, that is another story and I have run out of ideas on that.
Stay out of trouble Melissa.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesnt have to be moved or relocated. You just need longer one - 91.5mm 7 grooves Gatorback belt or something like that - they will include size requirement in package. And yes - you want it b/c its part that you will never replace again :) Lifetime warranty and 200A of output.. Plus it cost bugger all in comparition to OEM one.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thanks Reed !! I found a mean green on DWEB.. I am going to make him an offer and see what he says .. If not I am going with Jimmy 120AMP. More Power !! Cha --Ching...That and you can Core out the 120AMP and the mean green does not allow for a core.
Melissa

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it doesnt allow, but it costs less (349-379) :) You can also try to ask on Dweb, there used to be some other shady company that been making 200A alternators for rovers and they did cost slightly less and link was given on old Dweb board. Cant remember about warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72