Alignment Defect / Uneven Premature Tire Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see negative camber on the LR3, all sports car... Porsche, BMW etc. have it, and with it comes inside tire wear. But this is what gives performance handling. Tires must be replaced every 3- 4 years to maintain wet grip/handling anyway.

My porsche 928 eats back tires, 3 years 15K miles at most. all that momentum has to go somewhere. same for the LR3.

there is no "defect" that i can see.

Last edited:

tcpfl

Reaction score
I may have just been lucky but after the first 6 months I noticed the rear tires on my 2006 LR3 wearing unevenly. I took it to the dealer and they did a 4 wheel alignment under warranty no questions asked. I will say that the ome Goodyears are the worst tires I've ever experienced and I cannot for the life of me figure out why they continue using them.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I took my 05 into the Indy Alignment shop today and it looks as if it was out of alignment fairly severe, even though I when I drove it went straight down the road. The Indy GM said that my tires would only last 15-20k with it like that. In about an hours time he had it back to spec and it only cost me $60. Dealer wanted to charge me $195. When I looked at the rig from the front last night I could notice my tires were slanted outward bulldog style...
Drives excellent now! A bit smother and easier is the best description of the difference.

Aaron

Make sure the shop was albe to put the truck in "tight tolerance mode" to properly align the tires, otherwise you'll be going back again for another alignment sooner than later... If the indy shop can't do this, it's best to let the dealer do the alignment, or find an indy shop that is capable of performing the work.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the shop was albe to put the truck in "tight tolerance mode" to properly align the tires, otherwise you'll be going back again for another alignment sooner than later... If the indy shop can't do this, it's best to let the dealer do the alignment, or find an indy shop that is capable of performing the work.

can only do tight tolerance using the LR computer tool and hook up, it's computerized settings. No way independent charges only 60 and has that capability.

I previously posted the tight tolerance procedure from the LR tech bulletin, so search if needed, or look above in this post?

ProperNice

Reaction score
I see that some of you have been told that the alignment is engineered for the more "slanted" roads in Europe. Has Land Rover issued new alignment Camber/Caster/Toe specifications for USA roads? Or are alignments still being performed at the problematic original factory specs? I used to perform alignments for a race shop. These are non-factory spec'd cars so the process would be adjust, race, then finally look at how the tires wore and adjusted again if needed. We'd eventually have the right settings dialed in.
Most indy shops can do this sort of thing and eventually get it so your tires wear less but if LR has already figured it out and released the new specs that would be great.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM