Another tire question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trackstar

Reaction score
I'm on vacation and just noticed my OE GY's are pretty much shot. Actually I'm seeing much greater wear on the outer part of the tread than the inside...seems to be an alignment issue, but is this common?

In any event, I need some new tires; I've begun browsing the search results but I don't have time to read through all that ATM. I need tires primarily for on-road use that I can run year-round but can handle a lot of snow. (Eventually I would like to run a second set of wheels for off-road). I thought I had read some Nokian tires was a good choice (WGR2 I think) but I can't find the thread.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

san6279

Reaction score
From the threads and reviews I've read, the Nokians are good tires. Believe the WGR2's are all-season so should have good wear even in warmer weather.

I had the opposite problem. The insides of my OE GY fronts were much more worn than anywhere else. This was at 33K miles. Could have easily gotten 40K out of the originals if not for this alignment issue. I had it aligned just after purchase (May '06), but still had this issue. Wonder how often a person should get it checked for alignment.

Just got Michelin Latitude HP's a week ago. Huge difference in rolling resistance between the worn GY's and the Michelins. Feels like I gained 50hp. Don't think these will be great for snow, though, so probably not for you.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a dozen threads in this forum on tires. We've talked about tires till hell won't have it. I followed some early advice and ran Nitto Graplers for several years and they worked great both off road and on the highway. The consensus today is that Toyo has a better tire. When I bought my '08 the dealer "threw in" a set of Toyo "Open Country" tires and they have really been great (30k with minimal wear, a bunch of off road, a lot of highway, and quite a bit of snow and ice). If they ever wear out, I'm replacing them with the same thing.

David

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18's - General Grabber AT2
19's - Scorpion ATR

Both are available in the correct respective size and can handle what you need them to do; highway, off-road, deep snow. Both are affordable, and long lasting.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Toyo Proxes ST in 19's , and they have about 15K on them with no signs of wear. Great for on road, and because they are a directional tire they havent let me get stuck off road yet either. When we bought the lr3 it had an alignment and we have yet to have any problems.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
san6279 said:
Just got Michelin Latitude HP's a week ago. Huge difference in rolling resistance between the worn GY's and the Michelins. Feels like I gained 50hp. Don't think these will be great for snow, though, so probably not for you.

I also just installed a set of the 19" Michelin Latitude HP's about a month ago. They are a bit of a compromise IMHO. Definately very quiet and roll nicely on the highway as you have stated. Also, non-directional tread allows for additional rotation options.

However, the sidewalls are noticeably more stiffer (probably out of necessity) so you get a bit of harshness from the bumps in the road which wasn't present with the OEM Wrangler HP's. And I share your concerns about winter performance, even though they are rated all-season. Would not consider these Michelin tires appropriate for off-road use. Will see how they perform in the coming months with the cold/snow and will then decide if a 2nd set is needed for winter/trail use.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After my ill experience with GY wranglers HP I opted for GY wranglers silent armors.initially they where great, but after 30.000 miles driven mostly on highways i might be the only guy who is unsatisfied with these tires for a long run,even after rotating every 5000 and balancing they where never vibration free and noise is now quit pronounced.So, I came to the conclusion, that you can never have"best of both worlds" anything.There is no such thing hybrid tire for good highway performance and at the same time have good off road qualities.It is usually mediocre in all situations,compromising noise levels ,fuel consumption and handling , when it comes to highway driving,also when you need this tire to perform in extreme off road situations it behaves average at best and I know since yesterday,when off roading in mud and ruts,some rocks as well, my both differentials were locked almost all the time threads blocked with mud, slipping and causing diffs to work a lot harder than 6 months a go when my tires where brand new .Same thing applies to skis called mid fats ,all mountain .No such thing,again as all around skis for all conditions,they usually perform poorly in all categories.My conclusion is ,if you want low noise and great handling on highway , buy all weather performance tires that do this job well,well better then all terrain rubbers and if you need good off road capability,get tires that wont compromise your safety in wilderness areas.Also if you don't go off road at all , which is a shame with LR3 capabilities and all , get anyway two sets of rims and designate them to summer-winter sets or all weather -off road sets.This way you feel good driving on highway (95% of my time), but when you switch to set of MT'rs ,you know that they will not compromise your car's ability off road.Two sets of rims is the key for each particulate purpose.There is no way that all season tire can save you out of trouble in harsh winter conditions and usually fails in many categories in four season areas in any country.My action will be as follows:
-get all weather nokians WR G2 SUV tires for my 18 " rims as 3-4 season tire since we in NJ don't usually have hard winters,but this tire also have a Snowflake sign, which means it is suitable for extreme winter conditions ,UTQG is 500 ,so it wont wear out that quicly (GY SA have 520) and it complies to new EU sound (noise) level regulations and minimal rolling resistance which should save me some money at the pump(I drive a lot) with low noise inside the cabin.
-off road GY MT Rs for my 19'rims, so I could ease my diffs a bit next time I out weelin' in mud and ruts.
There is a reason that many good tire manufacturers make season or , terrain specific tires,they know they many experienced and demanding drivers will appreciate these choices and buy them for there own safety.I understand, that these companies like Vredestein and Nokian are relatively new to American market, but as sure as hell they know how to make good winter on high performance tires.You trust a European car manufactures why not to trust in European tire makers , well,.. except German made GW hp, after all , they have harsher regulations in almost anything, than US.My more than 0.2 cents.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After my ill experience with GY wranglers HP I opted for GY wranglers silent armors.initially they where great, but after 30.000 miles driven mostly on highways i might be the only guy who is unsatisfied with these tires for a long run,even after rotating every 5000 and balancing they where never vibration free and noise is now quit pronounced

You are definitely not the only guy unsatisfied with the GY SA's. I, too, am having the exact same issues with tire balance (but not noise??). My tires have about 45k miles on them, so the vibration is getting settled down with all the wear (still 8/32nd's left!) but I will definitely not be buying these again.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My action will be as follows:
-get all weather nokians WR G2 SUV tires for my 18 " rims as 3-4 season tire since we in NJ don't usually have hard winters,but this tire also have a Snowflake sign, which means it is suitable for extreme winter conditions ,UTQG is 500 ,so it wont wear out that quicly (GY SA have 520) and it complies to new EU sound (noise) level regulations and minimal rolling resistance which should save me some money at the pump(I drive a lot) with low noise inside the cabin.

Do you have a set of Nokians yet? I was considering this tire for the hokie 19" wheel, but I havent quite decided on it yet.

Curious to hear your thoughts if/when you do end up with a set.

-jpl

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM