Anybody know what i'm leaking and where from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

scotty

I have a 1999 Discovery Series II with just over 75k miles. I bought it last month from a dealer, the only car on the lot sold as is. Today the transmission oil temperature light came on for almost two minutes while waiting at a light, and then turned off just after i began driving again. I decided to take a look underneath and saw a small drop of what looks like oil. It is leaking from in-between two parts roughly around the transmission i think... I really don't know though... Also, the part that i think is the transmission was really hot, even after being parked for nearly three hours... I have pictures of the oilish leak. Please help, I don't know much. I did look up transmission oil temperature in hopes to find a quick answer, but still I don't know what's going on. Thank you.
pictures here -> http://www.geocities.com/scottyeglic/problem002.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/scottyeglic/problem004.jpg

Attachments

• uploadprob2.jpg
    uploadprob2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 108
B

bdog

Not positive, but if you have engine oil leaking around the transmission you have a bad rear main seal. It's a $15.00 part, but an slightly expensive fix since you have to pull so much stuff to get to it.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I would suggest is checking the transmission fluid. Not an easy task on the D2, since they do not have a dip stick... check the owners manual for the how to.

Also depending on state laws, most states require a dealership to offer at least a 30 day warranty. Check the laws...

S

scotty

So that is the transmission? It's been more than 30 days... I read on here something about a silicon seal on an oil leak. Would there be anything wrong with just smearing something on it to stop or slow the leak?

B

bdog

It looks like engine oil to me, is it red or brown. If it's tranny fluid silicon will work. If it's engine oil leaking between the engine and transmission, sealing it won't work. Oil is still leaking for the engine into your transmission case. It will start to mess up your transmission if your rear engine seal is bad. Not positive, but that's my take on it.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
scotty, I'd take it to a trusted transmission shop and have them look at it, and the fluid. I'd worry more about the heat and the ATF fluid than the leak. When my torque convertor went, they said the transmission fluid was fried. I don't know how much longer I would have got had the fluid been changed earlier, but I'm sure it woulda helped. This may not be your problem at all, but it'd be nice to know.
Mine was a '99 rr 4.0 (i think it's the same transmission), had about 73000 miles.

S

scotty

thanks guys! I was also thinking that maybe the transmission is getting hot bc it it caked with mud from my last adventure... I spent $40 washing it but after being uner the car, I can see it wasn't enough. I'm about to drive it from Florida to Texas in a few weeks, so i better take it to a mechanic. Thank you.

N

NHESS81

yeah scotty...take some time to learn more about the truck before you go barreling off road again...knowledge about the parts will save you....not being condescending, just words of warning....

im going to agree, its prolly a transmission issue, seems like a seal problem--wonder, if it overheated before, could that hurt the seal, guys? if it can, then this truck has been overheated and hope that doesnt start more issues later with head gaskets....

S

scotty

I took my car to Juan's Repair, a local guy's shop, and he told me I would need a new front main seal and a rear main seal. He used to work for Jaguar and seemed to know what he was dealing with very fast. I've used him in the past with my other car and he did good cheap work. I understand the seals are cheap parts, but the labor is extensive. Anyone know how much I should pay to repair this?

B

bdog

Just a guess, but pulling a transmission and related items isn't the cheapest. Has is been shifting good with no slipping? Once the tranny's out nows the time to raplace a torque converter or flywheel assembly?

Seals $12.00
Labor $400.00

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4