Anyone running Falken Wildpeak AT3W?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I look closer at this it seems the 265/60/18 and the 265/65/18 tires are both 114T rated with a 2601 lb load capacity per tire. The only difference other than size is that the 265/60 is XL rated and has a max psi of 50 where the 265/65 is SL rated with a max psi of 44. The larger tire is about 3 pounds heavier as well.

So, if they have the same load rating they should both be more than adequate for the LR3, would there be any real world issues with the SL tire in this case? Is this just a matter of a slightly more reinforced sidewall on the XL tire and does that matter if you are not off-roading? Both are severe snow rated.

I do tend to run my rear Grabber AT2's at 45 psi, but that is not necessary for any particular reason. Reading some reviews on the Toyota forum these tires do seem to have high marks all around, so now I am curious about them myself as I will need new tires fairly soon.

safaridave

Reaction score
Check the inside of your rims for wear from the GG AT2. The AT2 by GG seem to some how wear out rims.
The Falken AT3 reminds me of a mix btw the Nitto Terra Grappler which I had and it was a great tire both off and on road, but not good in deep snow and the Duratrac, but the duratrac after 6K use looses traction in snow. So it seems that the Falken AT3 is a better choice off-road, on road and in winter for a bargain price.
New to this forum, but I have owned a few Rovers in the past 11 years, at moment we own 2 LR3's one in NYC and one in LA. My NYC Rover has cross country from NYC to Los Angeles with me 4 times in one year in snow storms, plus off roading in Cali.

Dave

Last edited:

safaridave

Reaction score
The Goodyear Adventurer AT with Kevlar in the 255 65 18 is 111T (2405lbs) 51psi max is an SL, but a larger tire with reinforced Kevlar side wall. Same as the GY Duratrac in the 255 55 19"

it will be the Falken or the Adventurer for me, just need to see if the Adventurer is snow rated.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not snow rated, I was literally just looking. I remember Umberto having 31" Geolanders and was considering that as well. There are not many 31" tires in either 255/65/18 or 275/60/18 out there. I really cannot fully understand the nuances between some of the tire specs. A lot of the Goodyear Wrangler series tires are SL rated but have 51 psi pressure ratings where others tires that are XL rated yield a 50 psi rating. So really, is there much difference?

And with those SL rated 51 psi tires, my understanding is that the load rating is based off of a 35psi setting whereas an XL tire is based off a 41psi rating. So in theory, the load index of some of tires, like the 110 rated 265/60/18 Duratrac could technically be higher if you keep them at a higher psi on your vehicle. That is, if I am understanding tire specs correctly. I am trying to understand if the psi rating necessarily coorelates to sidewal strength, not necessarily for off-road use, but for cornering and lateral stabilty in normal driving, be it dry, wet, snow, etc.

The Falkens are value priced for sure, the 265/60/18 XL are $153.00 locally where the AT2's are $224 a piece in stock size. I am still debating how large to go as I have a stupid donut tire on my LR3 and would have to get a spare wheel to run a larger size. That is one reason the Falkens are so attactive, as the price is decent (assuming they hold up to the initial positive reviews). Buying 5 Falkens and a spare wheel is not far off from just getting four AT2's. Of course, there is a 265/65/18 Falken AT3W as well with a 114 load rating, but it is SL rated and has a 44 psi max pressure. Seemingly this would be a little squishy in the corners. Plus it would have to be somewhat deflated to fit underneath. The 31" tires are the ideal compromise, but neither of the 2 are winter rated or as agressive looking as the Falken.

There is also the newer Goodyear TrailRunner AT (not snow rated either) which looks a lot like the Falken AT3W except with perhaps a slightly milder sidewall. They have 265/60 and 265/65 in the 18's, both SL rated but with 51 psi like the other Wranglers. I'll be deciding real soon myself!

Last edited:

safaridave

Reaction score
It's frustrating and challenging finding a tire that suits what one wants for the LR3/4. I really just wanted a 31" AT that was snow rated, but agree that the SL makes you wonder how will it handle on the corners. Also the Falken SL 265 65 and 44psi also makes you wonder.
I called tirerack and asked them about the Adventurer in the 255 65 18 and I told them my concerns and that the LR3 requires XL, they told me that the Adventurer at 65" being a larger tire even as an SL its rated 111T 2405 that it was strong enough to handle the LR3 without a doubt.
now the other thing is for example a GY Duratac 255 55 19 XL for LR3/4 in Europe is winter rated with snow flake symbol. While in the US that same tire is not. This crap drives me nuts.
Dave

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has the non-winter rated Duractacs in 255/55/19 on her RR and loves them. Goodyear told me that tire was specifically made for Land Rover, which is why its specs did not match all the other Duratrac specs. Still someone in Scotland told me their version of the Duratrac in that same size IS winter rated, so I guess it really was a US thing.

Right now, the 255/55/19 is not even listed as an available size anymore on Goodyear's site and no one seems to have them, except one place in CA that wanted $372 per tire! I am not sure what is going on there, if it is discontinued or just temporarily not being produced....

safaridave

Reaction score
I think the 19" rim is just not a popular size. Is possible that they are discontinuing them in that size. 20" is the most popular size these days. I have Bridgestone Alenza 255 55 19 for street they are great tires in the rain and snow. Nitto has a 255 60 19 XL street tire that is supposed to be great. I like that they are a 60" a bit more comfort and rubber.
I had Nitto Terra Grapplers 255 60 18 on my 18" rims for a couple of years great tires. I cross country from NYC to Los Angeles 4 times with them in winter storms and off road in California in my LR3.
I have seen people do light off road with the Bridgestone's I have that's why I got them since in NYC I am mainly on pavement now. The 18's tires I am looking for now are for my girls LR3 in California that we picked up in January. We have 2 LR3's now. same years same color. Was thinking of the Nittos again, but wanted something with more winter traction that's where the Falkens' came in.
Dave