Anyone running Falken Wildpeak AT3W?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really strange, the 255/55/19 DuraTrac just re-appeared on their site - I have been looking closely for a week, so I know I am not dreaming. Maybe it was just a backorder and now they have arrived.....The GY site does not specifically say they are not Winter Rated, but if it is the same exact spec tire, which it appears to be, then it is not. My wife has about 10,000 miles on them now, so we will see if she feels she has lost any snow traction this winter like you experienced....

Edit: Actually the product code for the 255/55/19 size now says 150884574. When I bought them it was 150663574, so maybe it is some updated version - maybe they are winter rated now???

Last edited:
Reaction score
I run the Falken's Wildpeak AT3's 265/65/R18 - they have been extremely reliable. I did 1200 miles of dirt, rock and sand in the Rebelle Rally. I carried 2 spares - and while many other Land Rover teams needed to use their spares, we did not. My LR4 was really heavy with the extra spare, ARB Fridge, lots of spare parts however we did not experience slippage. I cannot say how they do in snow or ice.

safaridave

Reaction score
Hi Omada,
Good to hear, thats awesome!
How are they on road and on sharp turns? Also what psi do you have the rear tires for on road, since the highest rate they can handle is 45psi. The psi and the non XL side wall is the factor the 265 65 18's SL. The 265 60 18 is XL (side wall) and psi max is 51. The rear tires are supposed to be at 42 psi when loaded due to the LR3/4 rear weight.
Dave

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Dave, I ended up giving them a try. After going back and forth with Falken and a tire engineer, I think the 265/65/18 SL tire would actually be fine to use, but ultimately I opted for the 265/60/18 XL instead. I back into my driveway in access mode all the time (so my dogs can get out easier) and figured the potential rub would be a frequent thing, plus airing down the spare would force me to carry an inflator. Top that with my 87 year-old mother-in-law having to get in and out and that extra height being a real potential issue for her; my wife would start to wonder what the heck I am doing all this for?

I had my local Cadillac/Saab dealer put them on Friday as they are always close in price to anyone else and do a good job of Road Force balancing. I picked up the LR3 at 9pm and on the way home the TPMS light was on the whole time, but I thought maybe it just needed time to reset itself. Saturday morning I went out and noticed one tire was very low, when I checked it was at 14psi! So, I went back Saturday morning and had it looked at and they said it was the valve stem (TPMS). They did not have the part, so without asking me they put some sealant on it to "slow it down" and put it all back together; I would have preferred to just have them put a standard (non-TPMS) valve stem on and be done with it as I plan to eventually just turn off the TPMS when I get around to getting an IIDTool. I decided not to wait another hour to have them re-do it for me and so far I really have not lost any pressure.

I did have issues with the same wheel position last year, but I am uncertain if it is actually the same wheel or not as the tires had been rotated once or twice since, but where hap-hazardly re-installed during inspection last month as the shop knew I was getting tires within the month. At the time I was losing about 5 psi per week for no aparent reason. When I went in for an oil change I had the indy guy check it out - he took the tire off the wheel and checked everything but found nothing. Yet, it did not leak after that, so I figured it was a fluke. Out of curiosty Dave, what made you say that the Grabber AT2's "wear out rims"? I am wondering if it is the TPMS or if it could be something with the wheel itself?

I did get a new full-size spare from Roverland Parts, so I could swap the new wheel for the one in question, but I still would not want a spare that could end up flat over time....

I'll hold back judgement on the tires until I have have had them for a while, but for first impressions:

1) They are quiet on the highway, my wife even made mention of it. Of course, any new tire is going to be more quiet than a worn out one. The Grabbers were not noisy until about 20,000 miles, then they slowly became louder, but never horrible.

2) It's been raining and they feel very secure - I tried to make some quick starts and hard turns and have not been able to get any slippage as of yet.

3) For whatever reason, the brakes felt better to me right as I pulled off the lot. I am not sure if it was just the different feel of the tires or if the braking would actually be different due to the tires, but either way it is a good thing.

4) I think I like the overall aesthetic of the Grabber AT2's on the LR3 better, but the AT3W still look nice! They seem a bit like my wife's Duratracs except with closer spacing between the treadblocks.

5) Tires were made in Thailand, I thought they may be made in Japan. To my eyes the rubber seems to have a faint ash-grey hue as opposed a gloss-black hue that some new tires have. Nothing of consequence, but just an observation.

6) It seems like the tires needed a lot of weight to get the road force balance done. You can see in the one close-up photo and in the backside of the spare photo just how much weight is being used. On the highway there is no steering wheel shake or anything and the LR3 runs straight with no hands on the wheel at 90mph. Still, I feel like there is some extra vibration between 75 and 90 that I did not feel with the old tires. Nothing of issue, my wife did not notice. Plus the one wheel that was temporarily fixed was just slapped back together and not re-balanced as they assumed I would be right back to fix it this week once I get a new sensor. So that could be enough to cause what I think I notice.

7) There are two sidwall variations, I opted for the less bold side which put the little mounting/balancing dots on the inside.

20170101_083426.jpg
20161231_155333.jpg
20170101_101228.jpg
20170101_125047.jpg
20170101_125119.jpg

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look sharp!

@OmadaAdventure I saw a write-up about the Rebelle Rally in a 4WP magazine. I saw your LR4, even! Sounded fun...congrats on completing it. How did your Rover perform in that? (4WP seems to give all props to Jeeps)

safaridave

Reaction score
They look real good! Keep us posted on how they are.
I am also thinking about the GY Wrangler Adventurer with kevlar 255 65 18
51psi @ 2409 they are SL, but so are the Falken at3w 265 65 18's.
I also don't want a tire that I will need to change the suspension on the LR3 or any rubbing.
Another is the Michelin Defender 255 65 18 E
I like the idea of the 31"
Dave

Reaction score
Hi Omada,
Good to hear, thats awesome!
How are they on road and on sharp turns? Also what psi do you have the rear tires for on road, since the highest rate they can handle is 45psi. The psi and the non XL side wall is the factor the 265 65 18's SL. The 265 60 18 is XL (side wall) and psi max is 51. The rear tires are supposed to be at 42 psi when loaded due to the LR3/4 rear weight.
Dave

@safaridave As you probably know we had a ton of rain here in California, they do well on the roads, and I love how quiet they are. I run all 4 tires at 42psi and I have added weight in the back with an ARB fridge and some Goose Gear.

Those look sharp!

@OmadaAdventure I saw a write-up about the Rebelle Rally in a 4WP magazine. I saw your LR4, even! Sounded fun...congrats on completing it. How did your Rover perform in that? (4WP seems to give all props to Jeeps)

@Houm_WA I will have to look that one up! I don't think I have seen it. Look for us on the cover of the upcoming Alloy + Grit issue #2 and I will have an interview in the March issue of Land Rover Monthly as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72