assistance needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

billionaireboy

i am having eas difficulties. any assistance would greatly be appreciated. below is a step by step account of what is going on.

1999 range rover 4.0SE

truck was sitting low in front passenger side for approximately 6 months.

1-3 months prior to failure truck took substantial ammounts of time to rise and level

1 month ago truck failed to rise. siting eas fault.

have been driving for past month with no suspension.(on bumper stops)

suspected front passenger side airspring. replaced all four air springs.

truck still wont rise. compressor doesnt sound like its trying to pump air.

that is where i am at now. do i have to reset anything or is there something im not doing. please help me out

C

csanders

Okay I have a 99 Range too. My air suspension failed and left me stuck in Houston for 3days. Sounds like your compressor is out. You are probably lookin at about $800 to replace. not including labor. If i were you i would go ahead and get the spring conversion kit install. ($1200-$1600 parts and labor) You will save so much money and you wont have anymore problems out of the suspension. if at all possible drive the truck as little as possible since you are ridin on the bumper stops. If you keep drivin it in its current state you could be lookin at a bigger more exspensive problem.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a '99 and am thinking about getting the spring kit soon. Say, do either one of you have a god awful suspension-related squeak? I can't locate it, other than right front, but I squeak down the road like a junker. It also squeaks when i'm parked and raising and lowering the supsension.

I

ImBroke

I think the first thing for you to do is decide just what you want with your Range Rover.

I've got a '98 HSE. I experienced the dreaded EAS issues as well and after deciding that the "at the push of a button" suspension is one of the charms that originally drew me to that Rover I decided I'd go ahead and fix whatever ailed it. Now don't get me wrong. Financially I'm far from able to support dealership fixes, so after much research online via google, the Denver Solihull Society, and especially rangerovers.net I decided I'd be able to fix most everything that typically goes wrong.

My bet is that you've got the dreaded "christmas tree" hard fault where all the lights are lit up by your suspension button on the dash and it tells you not to drive over 35mph where you'd normally see your average fuel consumption.

At this point the only way I'm aware to really check your compressor without re-wiring it to a seperate power source is to bring it to any mechanic who's got access to a Land Rover "test-book". Most places charge a fee (an hours labor or a diagnostic fee) simply to run the 5 minute diagnostic, but this will tell you right off the bat if you've got a problem with the compressor or something more serious. Most mechanics that work on Land Rovers, outside of the dealerships, I've found to be extremly helpful when I've called with questions.

The fact that one of your corners was sagging, but not completely deflated (is that correct?) would lead me to wonder if you had a leak in the system, perhaps the airhose that connects from the block to that particular airbag wasn't holding up the pressure.

You can check all of the air hoses including the block for leaks simply by filling up a bottle of soapy water solution and spritzing the hoses where they connect on the block and again at the airbags while the system is under pressure.

FYI, I replaced my airbags with 4 Gen III Arnott bags (without removing a single tire), I upgraded the shocks to Bilsteins, I replaced the o-rings on my valve block, added a manual fill kit to the block in case my compressor ever does go and replaced the front steering dampner with a Rancho shock and the systems been flawless every since. While this isn't the cheapest route to go, I save what probably would have been thousands by doing the labor myself and I have what originally drew me to my Range Rover intact; that wonderful little button that brings me up and down! ;)

Good luck and hopefully you'll find something I said helpful!

akareh

Reaction score
96 Hse

I replaced my EAS and am now using regular suspension and a 4" lift. No problems since then. Good way to go. Hope it helps

ScottinNJ

Reaction score
I can relate ImBroke

I bought a used RR which was converted to coils by a prior owner. I am really tempted to convert back to air. I'm afraid of opening up a can of worms as I have no idea what failed prompting the prior owner to convert to coils.

I

ImBroke

Why to convert from EAS air system to coil spring suspension.

A lot of people seem to convert after a string of problems. Maybe an airbag get's a leak after 100,000 miles or an air line develops a hole from breaking loose and rubbing.
Could be your compressor dies after having to overwork to inflate leaky bags that were ignored (does it take 5 minutes to inflate your suspension and then you hear the compressor running every couple of minutes? That's not normal).
Maybe you get some leaky valve o-rings or something worse, you take it to the dealership causing the replacement of the entire valveblock! (LandRover dealerships tend to just replace everything on the system to be sure no problems redevelop! ;) )
Sooner or later most people just get tired of paying money to get something fixed that they think would be easier just to replace with a completely different system. Do coil springs ever go bad? Sure, but it takes some serious abuse and a lot of time. Can you lower your or raise your suspension by 8 inchs at the touch of a button with a coil system? Nope.

To me both systems have pro's and con's. I chose to go ahead and risk it and fixed my EAS airsystem myself!:stupid:

Knock on wood, it's been months since I did an entire suspension upgrade and no problems yet! If my bags spring a leak will I switch to coil springs? Probably not. I'm a bit biased because the air system suspension was one of the key items that drew me to the Range Rover.

It seems to me that Air Bag suspension are the suspensions of the future. Like all other fairly new to the consumer market technology it's expensive, but with large companies like Volkswagen, Porsche, Mercedes and BMW jumping on the bandwagon and experimenting, I'm thinking the prices will drop if you're willing to use aftermarket OEM or upgrades instead of "official" dealer parts which are probably sourced from the same place as you're cheaper OEM parts in the first place.

But then again, I already mentioned that I'm biased towards the air suspension, so to each their own. Weigh the pro's and con's and decide what's best for you. Then you'll be happy with your own Range Rover! Good times!

D

davebl

We can get any old EAS up to spec for much less than a coil conversion.

A lot of times you'll just need some new springs and maybe a $20.00 rebuild of your valve block (which is very easy to do at home).

The EAS isn't too complicated, but it does need some revamping every 8-10 years or so and can be quite reliable when maintained.

Check out http://www.rover-renovations.com/?click=345 if you want to look at what we have to offer.

strutmastr

Reaction score
If the compressor was not maintained the air springs failing simultaneously over work the compressor. Now with the new air springs the compressor (possibly dryers and solenoids) would need to be replaced to fix the problem you are having. Have you thought about a passive coil spring system at all? I would recommend going to strutmasters.com and taking a look at our conversion kits. these convert you from the airbag to a powder coated American made steel coil spring that is guaranteed to last the life of the car. That means no more dealing with suspension problems!!! I added the link below so you can check it out.

http://www.strutmasters.com/land-rover-suspension-parts-s/21.htm

I hope I was of some help

Good Luck!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM