Aux Input Output Level - FIXED!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

schafari

Great news for all those trying to use the Aux input on a regular basis for things like XM and IPod. The level control can be fixed. As you know, anything plugged into the Aux Input has to be cranked way up just to get ok volume. (Then the Nav guidance screams at you . . .) The volume level of anything in the Aux Input is always much lower than the other sources such as CD and FM.

Not any longer. I got some time to temporarily install my solution. It works perfectly. I am using a product from the high end car audio world. It is basically a pre-amp/eq. There are a couple of products, but I am using the Phoenix Gold Tantrum EQ6. It used to be $299; however, now you can get it for less than $100. Audio Control also makes them. They call them line drivers.

Basically, this was a competition class audio component. It takes input signals and has a variable signal amplifier. It can output up to 8volts, but is completely variable from .1 to 8 volts. The LR3 can only handle a couple of volts. You can adjust it with a master volume control as well. It has a signal to noise ration of over 110db, again, it is top notch.

It also has a six band eq. Two key settings are at 40hz and 80hz. You can boost 40hz just a bit, and the LR3 audio sounds much fuller. You can then drop 80hz a bit, and lessen a bit of the boom.

What You Need:
· Phoenix Gold Tantrum EQ6
· RCA to mini plug stereo cable x 2 (or hard wire it in)
· 12 volt power and ground wires to the eq with fuse
· Mounting items

What I Did & Will Do
· I purchased the pre-amp on eBay brand new from Indoaudio.com store. Do a search on the Phoenix Gold Tantrum EQ6 and it will come up. He has a few.
· The pre-amp fits perfectly in the cubby box. I will be fabricating a permanent mounting, but I temporarily have it wedged in lengthwise.
· Wires will run out the bottom of the cubby under the floor console
· I tapped into the 12v accessory outlet wires in the rear of the console facing the rear seats. I installed a 3A fuse in-line here and will switch the main fuse for a 3A as well.
· Adjust the signal amp prior to mounting. Boost only a tiny bit. You can clearly hear when the input gets overloaded. Turn it down from that. Leave enough play so you can control it with the master volume control as well, if you like.
· Do no overboost or over eq

I have tested this setup and it works perfectly. There is zero distortion or other artifacts. I can now listen to my XM Bluesville with the same volume as FM or CD.

(I am not affiliated with anything listed in this at all. Just excited that I finally solved my volume problem.)

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I'm pretty sure a smaller/cheaper line driver (like mentioned in the previous thread) should work fine, too. Of course, they won't have EQ capability.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. Post some pictures of the install when you can!

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after buying a AudioControl line driver from another member here for $50...I must say the aux level is now adjusted to match the CD level. I had tried the Boostaroo I purchased from radio shack before and it was slightly better than stock, but I still found myself turning it up to max 35 on the stereo. This is working out great and I will post pics after my entire install of a Alpine VPAB211A video hub, Ipod Touch hardwired, XM direct all played through a Pioneer F500bt mounted in the stock front cubby.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man...I have to get off my ass and get this mod installed. Warm weather is coming and it always annoys me the most when I can't hear the stereo with the windows open! What a crock s sh*t. I hope they improved this on the LR4...

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you endup installing yours Huelsmma? I used to have one slipped behind the dash, just left of the stereo and just below the vent. It since been removed - I found that once I had installed the Kenwood v500 "video hub" & GPS, I didn't need my AudioControl Overdrive any more. I was wondering if it had found a new home yet? ;-)

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for selling that to me! After some placement a few times around the front of the car and pulling every trim piece off looking for the best solution. I did go ahead and place it just below the vent on the left side of the h-panel to the right of the little vent at the steering wheel/ignition.
I was picking up some alternator whine when I had it placed in certain areas (sitting on top of stereo below the cubby and behind the glovebox) and I also relocated some ground wires for it to prevent a ground loop. Unfortunately my main unit (navigation, ipod controller, video screen) providing sound doesn't have a high output level hence me tracking down the Audiocontrol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo