Bad wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have a bad wheel bearing...got the roaring/grumbling noise, gets worse when turning left (unloading the drivers side). Checked for play and the drivers side has play. Did I diagnose it right? The reason I ask is because I thought that if it gets louder turning left the passenger side would load and I thought that would cause the noise? I guess the play test is the ultimate test and that definitely points to the drivers side.
Thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a few on mine...both on the PSX side. I hadn't really heard a noise, but now that they have been changed I notice its absence. They were noted as "going bad" but not quite dead yet; I just wanted to be pre-emptive. 117,000 miles, I'm not too bent out of shape with them going.

I've replaced a lot of suspension and steering parts under there, it's pretty fresh. Ready for the next 100k miles!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that roaring/grumbling noise is probably a wheel bearing. One of mine went out at about 75K miles. The noise was variable with the steering angle. It just kept getting louder until I replaced it about 2 weeks later.

Actually, I replaced both front hubs, control arms and all front bushings at the same time. It was expensive - around $2500 total if I recall correctly but by doing it all at once I "saved" about $600 in labor instead of replacing items separately.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a couple of my 07 lr3 wheel bearings were replaced around 90k miles while under warranty- in addition to the rear differential, upper and lower front ball joints/end links? or something. My $4500 spent on aftermarket warranty tallied up about $13,000 in claims so far. Mileage is at 99,750 now....

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it growling or squeaking? My front left is squeaking, like a dragging brake squeak, a little metallic drag kind of squeak. Thought it was low brake pads so I just replaced the brakes and rotors, which was needed as well, but it persists. No noticeable play when I try turning the wheel by hand however.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It squeaked last summer a bit, brakes are fairly new. Past week or so it's turned into a growling/roaring and there's noticeable play.

twoboarders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just stopped by the LR parts department and they want $480 per hub. I see many manufactures available online. I seem to recall the LR hub assembly is a SKF but read in another forum its a Timken. Could someone please advise which one it actually is?

Thanks in advance.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a hub bearing from atlantic british for 250, going to tackle it Tuesday. I'm not 100% sure from all I've read, but I THINK the torque on the lock nut (if that's what it is called) is 258 ft. lbs. But I've seen a bunch of different numbers in my searching. It actually doesn't sound like it matters that much, which I find odd, as long as it's really tight. The atlantic british installation video is very informative but doesn't mention torque values at all.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or is that a $hit-load of torque?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it's not just you. I didn't even know they made torque that high! :stupid:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90