Banging Slipping feel & noise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outdoorjunky

Reaction score
Our 05 LR3 has been making a banging noise & slipping feel for a couple months. I noticed it really bad one day on a muddy road it sounded like it was coming from the left front wheel area. I tried all off road settings to see if it would help or go away and it acted like the left front wasn't getting traction or spinning. Once we got out of the mud and from being stuck I noticed instead of every once in a while it started doing it from every stop when we were turning left or right from a stop if we take off straight it doesn't do it. I've changed front diff oil with no signs of extra debris coming out in the oil. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this Rover kicks my ass. Any idea or suggestions or has anyone else experienced this issue.
Thanks For any help!!

s3hooligan

Reaction score
Banging Slipping feel & noise!

I know this sounds counter intuitive but try cleaning your throttle body. Both of my LR3s would experience the same bang/slip feeling after a short stop at a stop sign (California stop). Once I cleaned the throttle body (and Mass Airflow sensor) the issue went away. My throttle body wasn't supper dirty but there was just enough buildup to cause an issue.
It's worth a try an it won't take you more that 15-20 minutes to do both. They are easily accessible.

Don't forget to check back in and let us know how it worked out.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did get the CA Stop bug fixed via software update didn't you? Is it possible that you didn't and need to have that updated?

Also, it's a bit unnerving that you have observed this banging and slipping for "a couple months" now and not done anything about it. I'm not your Dad and it's not my place to scold you but you gotta be concerned for downstream effects if you let symptoms go like that.

outdoorjunky

Reaction score
Absolutely
That's why I'm on here trying to see if others have had the same issues.
I'm done with the LR shop telling me they can reproduce the issue and still want paid for doing nothing and have the issue occurs while pulling out of there parking lot I've had a couple guys tell me they don't actually drive the vehicle anymore the plug it in or lift it in the air and grab and shake stuff! What happened to the real mechanics it seems like most guys this day and age only know how to plug in a laptop and read bulletins!
I handle 99% of all my repairs but this rig is a little different and requires more then most domestics. I am at the point of letting it progress!

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah...it requires more than most domestics, as in a laptop! Why not be proactive and ask the tech to jump in the passenger seat and go show him/her what it's doing? I have done that countless times at the service dept. As long as you're cool about it, I can't see them saying "no."

s3hooligan

Reaction score
Why not just clean the damn throttle body and live happily ever after.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also a process to reset the computer that automatically adjusts to your driving style. It's described in threads here, but off the top of my head you have the car shut off, turn the key to the second setting, floor the gas for 10 seconds or so then let the car sit shut off for a couple of minutes. I've done it a couple of times now and it helps with California stops at least. PS the throttle body/MAF cleanup is very easy. There is a great youtube video that shows the steps. I've done it twice now and can do it in 15 minutes or so. The dealer wanted to charge an hour's labor for the same so it's worth the $15 for sprays at the auto store.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM