Battery life on Discovery 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for a battery in group size 49, aka H8, aka L5. A bit longer (and heavier) than the factory supplied H7/94R, with better specs. It'll fit the LR4 just fine, without any mods. Here is an AGM one from Sears: http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...p-02850749000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Awesome!!!! I was trying to find that old post where you had mentioned it, but I couldn't find it. Thank you so much, Umberto!!!

It's actually cheaper than the 94R version.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced mine with an Interstate 94R size battery
5yrs/56K on original battery, not too bad IMO.
Next up is to add the dual battery kit with an Optima Yellow Top ;)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.... with an Optima Yellow Top ;)

NO. Don't.

Go with what they were showing above or Odessey. The Sears Platinum is apparently made by Odessey.

I used to use the Yellow and Red from Optima in my 1996 Discovery, then and currently in my 2004 Discovery and have had them just sort of get weaker and die off too soon.

The Odessey in my LR3 as my 2nd getting used every week for the fridge and lighting is 8 years old now and just had it load tested scoring near new performance level.

The other thing is that Odessey will do better for you if needed on warranty. I'm so pleased with them that I just put a new 1350 in the wagon and replaced my oem lr3 battery with the 1350 also. That size is an easy swap in lr3 oem spot and should fit into the 2nd spot just as easily, although the 2150 can be made to fit with mods...for maximum Ah.

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every once and a while I will go to start my LR4 in the morning and the dash will show "Low Battery, Start Engine Immediately" and I go to start the truck and it cranks up just fine, not slow or anything. I've also been experiencing problems with my screen freezing on the "Land Rover" screen and the radio or nav will not come on. Could this be a sign of a bad battery going out?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. If your 2010 has an original battery, you are entering the danger zone... Although there are other, non-related reasons why a Land Rover logo would freeze on the touchscreen on a MY2010 (software issues), it's quite possible that yours may be due to a weak battery. Have it and the alternator checked asap.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine left no indication of pending failure.
My wife was stuck out grocery shopping and called me because he wouldn't start.
I am surprised you have had problems with the Optima, I've used the same one in many different cars over a period of years (4+) with no issues.
It has since been passed onto a friend and he is still using it on his mud runner that only gets used 10-15 weeks a year for competitions.
The yellow tops are not designed to be charges like a regular lead/acid battery, maybe that is where the problem comes in? The red tops should be no issue though.
What are you considering a short lifespan?

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery isn't original, it's been replaced with an Interstate at some point. I'm going to get the battery/alt checked after work today.

Also, Umberto, you provided me with the TSB for the frozen screen update a few weeks ago. If the battery/alt prove to be fine, I'm going to drop it off at the dealer on Monday to get the TSB issue fixed.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. Make sure you get the battery properly checked by a good shop that takes more than 30 seconds to test it. I can't tell you how many times I've had batteries checked in the past at gas stations and told "Everything is good!", only to find myself with a dead battery the following morning...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM