Battery voltages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All thread starts need an end :)

Just got back from the local independent dealer, they said the battery and alternator were fine.

When I was driving home, the voltage as displayed by the 753 screen hack showed 13v and with the engine off it was 12.5v.

I don't feel great, but they insist not to do anything...

So lets see what happens....

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My screen before start shows 13.4 and after start 14.2

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I guess I will ask them to double check tomorrow...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PWM alternators fool the tests.

I have a theory that these PWM regulators fool the normal testing procedures. I expect your independent used a carbon pile tester across the battery posts and all showed OK.

I had a battery shop do the same thing and with mine, all showed OK. What was OK was the battery. As best I can tell, the alternator was putting out somewhat but not what it should have however something fooled the procedure. Also the headlights etc worked well so quite a bit of electricity was still being generated.

Ultimately I ended up installing a new alternator as it seemed like a good idea. It was - then later a new starter motor as well - now the insta key start feature works as it did when new. (That is the feature where you just turn the key and then let go immediately prior to engine start and the start sequence proceeds automatically).

I think the test procedure may be compromised by the fact the alternator feed goes to the starter motor first and then the starter motor feed heads to the battery. This is not common. Most vehicles have a small gauge wire directly from the alternator to the battery and a heavy one from the starter motor to the battery with a third wire off the battery going to the fuse box.

Yes, I know this should not matter and I presume it does not when all is working well. The problem is when things are less than perfect.

About the only clue you get to there being an alternator problem is that the running voltage seems less than it should be. By less I mean 13.0 volts; 13.5 to 14.5 is more normal and is what is required to properly charge the battery. 13.0 will give you some battery charge and keep the lights bright but is just not enough to charge the battery - but it looks that way and there is the problem.

Do not be afraid of 14.9 VDC as that is normal when the battery is down and the weather cold. Hot weather yields lower charge voltages than in cold, as in around or below freezing when you can see the 14.9 to 15.2 measured at the OBD port. In summer, at say 80F, 13.5 might be normal and 13.9 at 60F. Also I think the screen voltages displayed on the NAV are maybe 0.2 low as I think they are what the unit sees - buss voltage so to speak rather than volts off the alternator or near the + post of the battery; in fact that is part of the difficulty - there are so many slightly different voltages depending upon where you measure.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bbyer, thanks for the informative post! I will bug them again tomorrow....

jazzy_james

Reaction score
I started my own post a few weeks ago and want to chime in here...
I too had issues with my LR3 and I suspected my battery and/or alternator. Brought it to my local Interstate Battery retail shop and had them check it. Everything checked fine but I was still getting dash board errors and car wouldn't start. When I let it sit a little longer after multiple start-up attempts, it would then start again with no problems what so ever. I totally believe in the hot weather statement because this is when my problem always appears to happen. Battery apparently drains faster in hot weather! I bit the bullet and just purchased a new battery and have not experienced any more problems. Knock on wood!

One thing I do noticed now is when my car is parked at least a day, my suspension appears to drop a little by itself. Of the 6 years I had my LR3, I haven't noticed this. The suspension always seem to stay at the proper height. Do others experience this now? The suspension adjust itself back to proper driving height when I start the car though.

Last edited:

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I do noticed now is when my car is parked at least a day, my suspension appears to drop a little by itself. Of the 6 years I had my LR3, I haven't noticed this. The suspension always seem to stay at the proper height. Do others experience this now? The suspension adjust itself back to proper driving height when I start the car though.

Do you mean it goes to Access Mode Suspension level or just is a bit lower in Normal Suspension mode? Land Rovers self-adjust their level while parked and may lower a bit in the process at all times. It's a "feature". Everytime I park my car in the driveway, lock and wait for a minute or so, the car lowers and adjusts its level by itself. Try it next time. It's kinda fun to watch, seems like the beast is alive!

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last update.

The plot thickens. I picked up Eleanor (my LR3!) today. She had her bushings and ball joints done ($1160). On the way home, I called up the 753 screen and the voltage was solid at 13.5.

I give up! I will keep plodding along and worry about other things like my compressor!

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the plot thickens.... Today, after about 5-7 days of not being used I took the LR3 for a short spin. The battery light came on. Temps in portland the last week have been lows of high 40s and highs of mid 60s, so not crazy temps. I pulled up the 753 screen and I was at 10.5v with the engine off and 12.5v with it on....

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112