Bluetooth audio in 2012 LR4 via iphone not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockerston

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have read that I should be able to play music via bluetooth from a paired iphone 4s. I don't have any trouble pairing, and calls work fine. However, if I play music on the phone, it won't play via the speakers in the truck. If I connect it to the USB cable in the console, it works fine. When it is paired and I play music, there is an icon on the phone which when pressed shows a pop-up menu with Land Rover and iPhone as options. I choose Land Rover, but it doesn't work.

Also, if it is connected to the cable in the console and I am listening to music, I can make calls, but then it doesn't want to resume playing the music again.

Is anyone else able to play music via bluetooth? Do I need a software update? The dealer said it was > $100 for the upgrade even though I just bought the car 6 months ago, so I don't want to do this unless it will fix the issue (they say they don't know).

RON8O

Reaction score
Also, if it is connected to the cable in the console and I am listening to music, I can make calls, but then it doesn't want to resume playing the music again.

This is a known issue and although I've been away from these forums for a while, last I heard there was no known fix.

Is anyone else able to play music via bluetooth? Do I need a software update? The dealer said it was > $100 for the upgrade even though I just bought the car 6 months ago, so I don't want to do this unless it will fix the issue (they say they don't know).

I ONLY play audio via Bluetooth now, since using the cable causes issues playing the audio after making a phone call via Bluetooth. I picked my LR4 up mid-August and Bluetooth functionality has always worked fine for me. I don't know what this software update is that you mention. Did they give you any idea what this update is supposed to do/fix?

rockerston

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have had this issue for months now, but oddly, one day after posting my question, I figured out the issue. I noticed a small + sign on the side of the "My Music" button. When I clicked it, it brought up another menu. That menu had a "Bluetooth" button that set "Bluetooth" as the input method (in the screenshot it says "Rod's iPhone), but before I clicked it, it said "Bluetooth").

I don't quite understand why it would automatically switch to the docking cable when a device was plugged in, but it wouldn't automatically switch to the bluetooth when the device was paired. Maybe that is what the software fix was?

Anyway, here is a screen shot of what it looks like:

20121005-tahk6rcws5u3w8uib85igfepqw.jpg

@RON80 - Apparently LR releases software updates periodically, according to the dealer. I don't think he thought that the issue had been specifically addressed, but rather, updates had been issued since I bought it and maybe that would help. How they didn't know about the little + sign is baffling.

tom7

Reaction score
.. i on the other hand just picked up a 2012 LR4 (replaced my 2010) and was able to play music with iphone (after pairing it)...the problem that I am having after 24hours of ownership is "old school"... the car is not "seeing" my ipod...same ipod worked just fine in my 2010.....any thoughts before i break something!!!!!

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have had this issue for months now, but oddly, one day after posting my question, I figured out the issue. I noticed a small + sign on the side of the "My Music" button. When I clicked it, it brought up another menu. That menu had a "Bluetooth" button that set "Bluetooth" as the input method (in the screenshot it says "Rod's iPhone), but before I clicked it, it said "Bluetooth").

I don't quite understand why it would automatically switch to the docking cable when a device was plugged in, but it wouldn't automatically switch to the bluetooth when the device was paired. Maybe that is what the software fix was?

@RON80 - Apparently LR releases software updates periodically, according to the dealer. I don't think he thought that the issue had been specifically addressed, but rather, updates had been issued since I bought it and maybe that would help. How they didn't know about the little + sign is baffling.

Hey Rockerston, this was immensely helpful. I had an iPod plugged into the iPod port, all while I tried to stream Bluetooth audio from three different devices (2 Android phones and an iPad). None of the Bluetooth audio devices would stream (although making connections for all three of them worked fine).

I unplugged the iPod, and BAM, music started streaming from the iPad via bluetooth, no problemo. It's not ideal to unplug my iPod everytime I want to stream, but oh well.

Thanks for your help on this!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover NA has actually issued a Service Action bulletin about this, drove me crazy as well for a while until I accidentally forgot my "armrest resident" iPod at home one day, and my phone magically started streaming Bluetooth audio after I had tried just about everything else, short of replacing phone.

The fix won't get rid of the incompatibility between a hardwired iDevice and Bluetooth music streaming - it's still going to be either one or the other - but it will give the owner a clue as to why BT streaming may not be working, through a better worded pop-up menu. Since this is a Service Action bulletin, if you have a Gen 2.1 infotainment system (MY2012-13), expect this work to be automatically performed the next time your vehicle is at the dealer for routine service. You shouldn't have to ask. If you haven't taken possession of your new vehicle yet, the fix should be applied by the time they deliver it to you.

Q228NAS1 - Service Action bulletin

Last edited:

NWLRFan

Reaction score
So I am just curious on how bug free this system is if you do NOT plug anything into the USB port. If you just use your iPhone over Bluetooth does it work to stream music and take calls etc over the speaker system? Are the issues only being encountered when you plug an iPod or something similar into the USB port? thx!

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. I only see issues when I plug my phone into either USB port. If I leave it untethered there are zero problems.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun update from earlier: After I got the streaming to work, the Satellite Radio icon completely disappeared.

A shut down of the vehicle and restart brought it back.

Good times.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM