Booster seats with backs in 3rd row? 2016 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone put boosters in the 3rd row of an LR4 2016 model? I couldn't find any documentation of latch hooks. Has anyone found a reasonable location to attach Latch boosters?

Thanks

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used boosters with backs but no latch. I just used the 3-point seat belt. Worked fine.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used boosters with backs but no latch. I just used the 3-point seat belt. Worked fine.

yep, same here. Boosters with no latch, just the seatbelt. We have two in the back row and one latch in Britax in the middle row.

Note: I removed the middle seat from the second row which makes it much easier for two in the 3rd row. Night and day difference.

pceresia

Reaction score
Interesting you mention removing the middle seat of the second row. I have a 2016 LR4 and have been casually considering this. Was it difficult? Is the floor left free of wires, etc? Did it improve access to the third row? Any other comments about it removal or post removal use of the space? Have you had occasion to re-install the middle seat and if so was it difficult? Thanks for this.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think legally you are not to allowed to use a booster with a latch system AND the standard 3-point harness. As it exceed the MAX load design of a ISO Latch System The latch system is not designed for more than 60-80lbs. This includes the seat, and child's weight.
There was a bulletin put out by the NHTSA not too long ago about this.
The Latch system prevents the seat belt from working properly, as the child can actually slide out of the seat belt during impact as the booster cannot move with them due to firm secure-meant to the ISO brackets.

I have used a standard Recaro High-back booster in the rear on many occasions. The Recaro seat has the latch system, as it converts from a standard forward facing child seat. However (and the Recaro instructions are explicit about it). Once you conver the seat to a booster, you are to no longer use the latch system.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting you mention removing the middle seat of the second row. I have a 2016 LR4 and have been casually considering this. Was it difficult? Is the floor left free of wires, etc? Did it improve access to the third row? Any other comments about it removal or post removal use of the space? Have you had occasion to re-install the middle seat and if so was it difficult? Thanks for this.

Hey Pceresia, No, it was easy. It took about 10 minutes. As I remember, just four corner bolts. Yes, the floor is free of wires, so there is no issue there. I think the factory carpet is under the seat. I used a factory floor mat turned upside down from my suburban to cover the space and kinda match my weathertech system.

Hell Yes, 3rd row access is greatly improved. Different vehicle for the kids. It's not a 6 passenger, but we never have to use the seat release to access the 3rd row. Kids just walk right through and climb in their boosters. Mine in the back are 7 and 9. We have a 5 yo who rides in the second row. Another bonus is that 3rd row seems so much bigger and less cramped. I ride back there on occasion. Also, I never liked the egress in case of an accident/emergency for the 3rd row which is why our burb has 2nd row captains. Another reason why we'll never by a D5.

We haven't needed to reinstall the middle seat. We have a suburban too so in the rare event of needing a 7 pass, we just use it. As for things to do, definitely reinstall the seat bolts as you don't want water shooting up in there and you can't lose them if they are in the holes from which they came.

Seriously, you'll laugh at how easy it is and smile at home much more functional it becomes. Nothing better than second row captains, which is exactly what it looks like it has. I have people say they didn't know it was an option.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM