brake clicking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just today I started hearing/feeling a clicking noise. Only in neutral or park, and with the accessories switch on or the car running, there is an audible clicking noise that can also be felt through the gear shift *** when I either press or release the brake pedal. It definitely hasn't happened until today. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm nor sure how the brakes would be connected to the gear shift ***, especially when the transmission wouldn't be involved (neutral or park).

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son of a gun, I can hear it too. Honestly I don't know if it was there in the past and I probably just never paid attention to it before (until I read your message and went out to test it, that is... thanks a lot, LOL.) Obviously the brake has got to release something in there - which makes sense as without pressing the brake pedal you couldn't get out of either Park or Neutral. But I don't know if the clicking - more like a short creak in my car, actually - is normal. Sounds like something may need a little lubrication or dusting under the guide plate of the shift knob... I might open it up over the weekend and take a look.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm sure sorry about that, LOL. I know it hasn't done it before because I'm super super tuned in to (and then super super annoyed by) sounds like that. Maybe it'll just go away on it's own like my squeaky mirror did? I guess you're right about it needing to do something to 'unlock' the shifter, hadn't thought of that. Thanks for checking!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know that there's much to do about it. Took it apart, there's a little white 'switch' that rocks 20 or 30 degrees and allows the gearshift to move. It just sort of knocks against it's stops in either direction. At the very least I didn't (appear to) break anything!

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys hate to break the news to you... it has always been there. To a varying degree of loudness. Maybe it got louder to point you just noticed it.
My wifes BMW has clicked since new.
It is the gear shift lever release. When you apply the brakes, the solenoid engages/disengages to release the shift lever arm.
This was a common failure on the early 2000's Jags, and LR. You would have to take apart the center console to release it manually.
Also a PITA with a dead battery, at least now you can "manually" release the lever.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9