Brake noise after replacing rotors and pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eggs

Reaction score
Hello all. New to the forum and my first post is about the brakes on my 07

I bought the Brake rebuild kit from Rover Parts or Atlantic British LTD. It's in theory the OEM brake kit with Fernodo pads. Item # 8849GK. I'm in the US so it is a V8

After getting it all back together the fronts are very noisy and grind when you reach that last fee miles per hour when coming to a complete stop. You can even feel it a little.

What have I done wrong.

I had an 06 prior to this truck and did the brakes twice on that one. Never changed the rotors on that one, but did the pads and never had this noise. In fact the rotors I put on were ordered for the 06 but then I traded it in on the 07. Could not pass up the deal on a new 07 never been driven (had 32 miles on it) in 09

Been about a week and maybe 400 miles some of which stop and go. Still does not seem to be getting any better. Rotors are smooth and shiny look pretty much like the old ones except no lip.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pads are scuffing the rotors as they break in. Pretty much normal. Did you do a proper break in on the pads?

Proper break in is usually driving at 50 mph and HARD braking till 10mph and repeating about 5 to 6 times or so. While doing this - DO NOT come to a full stop. Half way through, allow the brakes to cool a bit. Doing this allows the pads to quickly come up to working temperature and will aid the bedding process.

This method will allow the pads and rotors to scuff in and align properly.

Last edited:

eggs

Reaction score
I did a few panic stops from 30 or zero, hard enough to activate the anti-lock system. I guess I need to get on them harder. Seems to be getting better. but still loud enough to hear if the radio is off.

I guess I'll turn the radio up louder :)

MikeLi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem just did the front rotors and EBC pads all around. They are making noise too. I'll just let it go longer to see if it goes away. Usually it's just the brake dust causing the noise. If it doesn't go away I'll just take the wheels off and clean up the brake area with break cleaner that usually takes care of the noise issue.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks - all new brake pads and rotors need time to properly "bed". Even with new pads to used rotors. To bed them properly refer to my 1st post above. After doing this procedure, the grinding sound will be less, but not entirely gone. It takes a good amount of time to get the surfaces mated up.

Side note - new rotors are usually coated with an anti-rust agent on them. This coating will also cause the pads to "grab" the surface, thus making more noise. If your rig is stopping with the usual amount of brake pedal, relax and let them bed in. The sound will subside.

Trust me. 10 Years of running / swapping pads for track use is the experience I call from.

Last edited:

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree totally with the bed in process needing to be done. If you put genuine LR parts on from Atlantic British, your order comes with the proper bed in procedure. (Similar to the one noted, but not exactly.) Also, if you did the rears, ensure you reset and bed the parking brakes as well.

eggs

Reaction score
If you put genuine LR parts on from Atlantic British, your order comes with the proper bed in procedure. (Similar to the one noted, but not exactly.) Also, if you did the rears, ensure you reset and bed the parking brakes as well.

There was paper in that box that I should have read. Now you tell me :argh:

As for the rears I was surprised to even see the drum brakes in there. Sure made for getting one of the rotors off a PITA

eggs

Reaction score
One of the stupider things I've done in awhile

OK I'm an idiot, there I said it. :stupid: Made a $250 dollar mistake when I changed my pads a few weeks ago.

Front left was still very noisy and grinding. Never got better. All the outer surfaces looked fine so nothing was obviously wrong.

Took the wheel off last night and had a look. Imagine my surprise when I saw the inside pad was in backwards. Metal side against the rotor. :argh: Well that explained allot.

I pulled it off and put one of the old pads on till I can get the new rotor and a new set of pads. The pad held up pretty well but the rotor was cut down pretty well. New parts will be in tomorrow. The brake wear sensor was off the pad as well but I guess just hung there and never went off. It's a little beat up so now I have to mess around changing that too. That is the worst part of doing brakes on this truck.

I feel better tell a bunch of strangers my idiotic mistake. Thanks for listening. Problem solved truck is quiet again when I apply the brakes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90