Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWarner

Reaction score
Very nice! :beer:

That looks like an awesome pop-up. We've been happy with Rockwood products. Our current trailer is a hybrid as we like the "tent" feel that we had years ago with our pop-up.

Thanks guys... We've had this 2012 Rockwood High Wall for 4 years and it's been good to us.

This is our 3rd pop-up and can't really see ourselves stepping up to anything bigger. This is the biggest pop-up on the market and we're diminutive people anyway, so it's really all we need. We also only get to take it out about 6 or 7 times on average per year so it suits our needs.

I've always been a fan of the hybrid and hi-lo type of pull behinds. They offer the advantage of the hard sides, but maybe at the expense of breath-ability and weight? Have you enjoyed the Hybrid overall compared to your pop-up?

My dad owns a 5th wheel trailer and a pop-up and kind of prefers the pop-up as well, so even though they're small and not as luxurious as the big RV's they still get you out into the beauty of the wilderness just the same...

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My requirement is dry camping in places I can access. If that includes some trail work the better. Since the below pic the LR hitch has been replaced with Rhino and 285/60-18 Grabber AT2 spare tire relocated from cargo to original factory storage. The factory hitch does not allow an oversize tire. Rhino does and moves receiver to normal position. Swing-away? Maybe in future.

Just FYI, that size tire does fit under the truck in the factory spot. You just have to deflate it down to about 5psi and carry a compressor.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, that size tire does fit under the truck in the factory spot. You just have to deflate it down to about 5psi and carry a compressor.

I was able to make that size fit without deflation. Removed/moved some of the shielding. Tight but worked. Forget it with the factory hitch installed that extends into the area. I also run load range E tires so sidewalls are stiffer.

Solution was relocate tire to cargo and tie down. Well other than a swing-away or Rhino.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys... We've had this 2012 Rockwood High Wall for 4 years and it's been good to us.

This is our 3rd pop-up and can't really see ourselves stepping up to anything bigger. This is the biggest pop-up on the market and we're diminutive people anyway, so it's really all we need. We also only get to take it out about 6 or 7 times on average per year so it suits our needs.

I've always been a fan of the hybrid and hi-lo type of pull behinds. They offer the advantage of the hard sides, but maybe at the expense of breath-ability and weight? Have you enjoyed the Hybrid overall compared to your pop-up?

My dad owns a 5th wheel trailer and a pop-up and kind of prefers the pop-up as well, so even though they're small and not as luxurious as the big RV's they still get you out into the beauty of the wilderness just the same...

We do like our hybrid. It is apparently the heaviest on the market (which I didn't realize when we bought it but just read this on the forum for that particular hybrid) so many owners move to a full on truck for their tow vehicle. But it has worked for us thus far. We do like having a shower if we are going to go out for more than a couple of nights. But if I were to do it over again I probably would have gone with something a bit lighter and smaller. Ours has 2 large slide outs which provide a lot of interior space (even an island for the kitchen) but also adds a lot of weight and it makes it a bit tighter to fit into some campsites. Here are a few pics to show relative size to the LR4 and a bit of the interior.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0917.jpg
    IMG_0917.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 76

DWarner

Reaction score
We do like our hybrid. It is apparently the heaviest on the market (which I didn't realize when we bought it but just read this on the forum for that particular hybrid) so many owners move to a full on truck for their tow vehicle. But it has worked for us thus far. We do like having a shower if we are going to go out for more than a couple of nights. But if I were to do it over again I probably would have gone with something a bit lighter and smaller. Ours has 2 large slide outs which provide a lot of interior space (even an island for the kitchen) but also adds a lot of weight and it makes it a bit tighter to fit into some campsites. Here are a few pics to show relative size to the LR4 and a bit of the interior.

Very nice hybrid there...And nice setup overall...Your truck colorway matches the camper lovely...

The island is probably very convenient when cooking and to just throw things on as you're coming and going. Nice... It looks like your slide-outs are at least 4 feet out as well. I bet that does make for a nice roomy feel inside. How much does it weigh?

The LR4 seems to be a great towing vehicle compared to most SUVs, but like you mentioned, a truck is probably best in some situations. My pop uses a Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel to pull his heavy, older model, 5th wheel and it handles it with ease.It's around 11,000 lbs... He uses a little Ford Ranger to pull his pop-up which is only around 2000 lbs in comparison...

I saw a few articles on British websites where our truck won 4 straight years in the Best Towing category of European vehicles, and at 7700 lbs, isn't far off from some of the best America has to offer in the way of towing SUVs. Really only the GMC products like the Escalade, Tahoe and Denali pull over 8000 lbs., and in most situations that's overkill.

Our Pop-up is the biggest on the market and what made me gravitate to it is because it was one of the few that offered the double axle with 4 full size wheels. Before we'd always had pop-up with smaller wheels and one axle...It makes pulling it a breeze and it takes bumps in the road beautifully. At around 5000 lbs loaded, it may be a little bigger than suitable for a lot of SUV's but the LR handled it without sweating whatsoever...

It also has a bathroom area with a full size toilet and shower if you want to zip in the waterproof liner.

Here are a few better pix of our unit...

DSC04667_Copy.jpg

DSC04652_Copy.jpg

DSC04618_Copy.jpg

DSC04621_Copy.jpg

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Pop-ups have come a very long way from the canvas-topped setup my parents had when I was a kid in the 1960's. ;-) Yours is pretty sweet. That slide out is a great idea. I can see the Rockwood touches.

As for weight, our hybrid is about 6,000 loaded. Maybe about 6,200 if I carry extra stuff or if I need to carry water - which I rarely do. My biggest issue is the tongue weight which runs between 650 and 700. That is why I chose to go with an aftermarket (Curt) hitch which in turn forced me to put the full size spare elsewhere. But I can live with that.

And, yes, the LR4 pulls great. But I should say that I am not one who wants to go fast with a trailer behind me - especially on this curvy, mountain Colorado roads and highways.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.......What trailer do you pull?.......

A Keystone Bullet 19FBPR. Basically a 19' camper that is 23'8" total. Note in pic below the ground clearance and spread dual axle that works well on and off road.

To it I added a rear shelf that has a locking baseplate for Honda EU2000i and space for a 22ga fresh water tank to compliment the trailer tank. Also a painter pole with side mount weather station and top mount G5RV long wire antenna.

Next up - 300W+ of solar :biggrin:

The following pic is from this weekend at Round Mountain / Pike National Forest. Take the Round Mountain Campground exit off Hwy 24, drive past the Forest Service campground, over the cattle guard and into the forest.

Attachments

• RndMtn_2016.jpg
    RndMtn_2016.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! We drove by that campground yesterday and almost drove in to check it out. Nice trailer and nice additions. You are definitely ready for some boondocking!

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Keystone Bullet 19FBPR. Basically a 19' camper that is 23'8" total. Note in pic below the ground clearance and spread dual axle that works well on and off road.

To it I added a rear shelf that has a locking baseplate for Honda EU2000i and space for a 22ga fresh water tank to compliment the trailer tank. Also a painter pole with side mount weather station and top mount G5RV long wire antenna.

Next up - 300W+ of solar :biggrin:

The following pic is from this weekend at Round Mountain / Pike National Forest. Take the Round Mountain Campground exit off Hwy 24, drive past the Forest Service campground, over the cattle guard and into the forest.

Love it! How much weight do you have on that rear bumper? Did you reinforce it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM