Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet setup Churious! Love the red trailer...Can't say I've ever seen one and I've been camping for decades... Very unique...

Here's our setup... I towed with the LR for the first time over Memorial day weekend myself. The truck towed our unit beautifully and hitched up with the OEM hitch and stabilizer system with ease. Two thumbs up for the LR4 towing experience...

20160529_092220_resized.jpg

20160529_092146_resized.jpg

20160529_195935_resized.jpg

I really like the new pop up designs. Due to hunting and potentially camping in cold season I went with an all hard wall trailer but I really like the run and gun mentality of a pop up!

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Churious, I don't know where you live but if you are in Colorado I'll keep an eye out for you. I don't think you'll be hard to spot with a red trailer. Pretty awesome looking.

Im in WA state. With this setup I will most likely be in the surrounding states of ID, MT, OR and maybe a bit of UT. Rarely get to Colorado as it is but its a beautiful state!

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage was a huge hit and the family had a great time. :hello:

27480379641_7fb21b28e3_b.jpg

26943091714_1d39a6e31a_b.jpg

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! We drove by that campground yesterday and almost drove in to check it out. Nice trailer and nice additions. You are definitely ready for some boondocking!

You won't find us in the forest service campground ...... keep headed North over cattle guard crossing.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love it! How much weight do you have on that rear bumper? Did you reinforce it?

Welded square steel tube frame with extended side tubes welded to top of camper frame, steel floor, square steel tube (3/4"?) supports that extend from outside edge of shelf to lowest point on frame to create wedge support. Roughly 50lbs for generator with EU2000i locking baseplate that is welded to shelf and roughly 200lbs of water/tank.

shanerrs

Reaction score
Hello,

I also just did my first maden voyage with the LR4 and towing my trailer - 2010 Flagstaff Shamrock M233 - 23 foot Hybird - 3600 pounds dry, so about 5000 fully loaded, Reese weight distribution.

I am trying to figure out a few things.

1. I have the OEM hitch receiver and its seems to have considerable play up and down and left and right with the Reese Head - Is this normal.

2. Where I store my trailer is on a incline and the truck is flat which creates a huge challenge to get the ball to release from the coupler. The truck will continue to raise the suspension as I lift the trailer tongue. Any suggestions on how to make it safer to disconnect. Currently I pull the pin on the head and move the truck forward.

3. I have the straight-line Reese Hitch - has anybody used this with the LR4 - is it worth it for me to add the cams to the system?

Thanks
Shane

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. Where I store my trailer is on a incline and the truck is flat which creates a huge challenge to get the ball to release from the coupler. The truck will continue to raise the suspension as I lift the trailer tongue. Any suggestions on how to make it safer to disconnect. Currently I pull the pin on the head and move the truck forward.

I imagine the remote control for the suspensions (turn on your hazards, close the doors and use the buttons on your fob to raise and lower the suspensions from outside the car) would help?

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine the remote control for the suspensions (turn on your hazards, close the doors and use the buttons on your fob to raise and lower the suspensions from outside the car) would help?

Ditto what umberto said. I use this feature all the time to set the height of the LR4. I don't have a normal towing system so I don't have a ball but what I do have requires very precise height adjustments. Using the internal switch to set to Access Mode or Normal or Offroad is not precise enough. I have found that when I use the keyless remote function described by umberto the LR4 doesn't "auto-adjust" on me. Maybe I am just lucky but that has been my experience.

As for the trailer being on a slant, I have that challenge as well. You may want to use some form of blocks to make the trailer more level. Since you likely always park in the same storage spot you would not need to guess the size/height each time. If the blocks are wood then maybe you could just leave them in the same spot. BTW, we always store our trailer level because sometimes we need to do some work in it with the slide outs open in which case we want it level. You may not have that issue.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welded square steel tube frame with extended side tubes welded to top of camper frame, steel floor, square steel tube (3/4"?) supports that extend from outside edge of shelf to lowest point on frame to create wedge support. Roughly 50lbs for generator with EU2000i locking baseplate that is welded to shelf and roughly 200lbs of water/tank.

Nice. Im reinforcing mine to hold approx 100lbs with a bike rack.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you all are turning my views of trailering with our LR4 on its head. When I started down that path a year ago I came to the conclusion that, to pull our trailer, I needed a 3rd party receiver (which brought its own set of inconveniences) and I needed a Hensley hitch which, although it is great to pull, is even more cumbersome to use than the WD/anti-sway hitches and has become something we hate doing.

You also seem to have found potentially good trailers that are lighter than our hybrid. So my wife and I spent yesterday evening wondering if we bit off more than we should have with our trailer and that maybe we should downsize to a somewhat lighter trailer but more importantly a trailer with significantly lower hitch weight (which apparently the Keystone trailers achieve in part through a wider spread between the wheels.)

So how many of you are using the OEM hitch (which would be my preference if it works) and what is your trailer and hitch weight?

Any recommendations on trailer brands? Do the "bullet shaped" trailers pull easier/better? Do the spread wheels actually work better?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM