Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My requirement is dry camping in places I can access. If that includes some trail work the better. Since the below pic the LR hitch has been replaced with Rhino and 285/60-18 Grabber AT2 spare tire relocated from cargo to original factory storage. The factory hitch does not allow an oversize tire. Rhino does and moves receiver to normal position. Swing-away? Maybe in future.

mpinco, do you know what your tongue weight is? I am about to pull the trigger on a Lance trailer the comes in at 5,000 lbs delivered to me but with a tongue weight of nearly 750. The dealer is questioning whether the LR4 can handle that tongue weight load.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mpinco, do you know what your tongue weight is? I am about to pull the trigger on a Lance trailer the comes in at 5,000 lbs delivered to me but with a tongue weight of nearly 750. The dealer is questioning whether the LR4 can handle that tongue weight load.

Mine is 460.

At 750 you are near the top of the LR OEM rating. (97% ?) Not sure what the Rhino is but do know it is limited by the LR4. It is class IV but the LR4 is class III.

Running at the top end of specs is never a good thing.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And then there is the following to add more questions......

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16053&page=3

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last post for tonight. Appears Rhino Hitch would be the solution followed by total trailer weight LR4 spec. The OEM hitch really limits you.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good information. We are looking to get some sort of hybrid. What braking system do these trailers usually have? We have surge on our boat and electric on my wife's horse trailer (obviously dangerous but the electric got disconnected for a while without us knowing and it still stopped fine), LR4 does great with both, not sure if it's related to the towing we do but my rear wheel bearing went out and I hadn't heard or seen that being a common problem.

Diesel101

Reaction score
I pull this lite wt. 3500 lbs with my lr3, Eckhart hitch welded to the frame, no anti sway its irrelevant with the lr3 towing capability. Over the rockies in the snow twice in the last year Tows like a dream,

Attachments

• IMG_2884.JPG
    IMG_2884.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 44

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is 460.

At 750 you are near the top of the LR OEM rating. (97% ?) Not sure what the Rhino is but do know it is limited by the LR4. It is class IV but the LR4 is class III.

Running at the top end of specs is never a good thing.

FYI for Dan, this is the plate from my installed Rhino hitch.

Attachments

• IMG_5498.jpg
    IMG_5498.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 64

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to add the Rhino hitch to your short list, consider.

When I picked up the LR4 it still had P-rated standard spec tires. When towing my trailer with OEM hitch I did 'feel' the rear tire sidewalls flex. Why wouldn't they considering added trailer weight, camping 'stuff' loaded in cargo area, etc. Overall I was heavier with more load on rear axle. More 'flex', more sway in my book.

If you are going to truly use your LR4 for camping, offroad, etc the standard spec tires are a joke. I upgraded to LR3 10-spokes with spacers and load range E tires. Sidewall flex gone. Truck rides better under load. Trailer tows better.

Add load range E to your short list, just under Rhino hitch. Maybe above.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM