Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 43

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Cancel that. Just heard about an issue with at least a couple of the Rhino hitches. (Ask Todd) Looks like I'll need to resort to the Curt hitch I used last year and put my spare back on the roof. Darn.

What are the issues with the Rhino hitch? I don't have one but was interested.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the details, Chris, so it would probably be best to talk to Todd, the "inventor". A couple of users had apparently put enough force on theirs for a weld to separate. But I don't know exactly what they were doing or what the cause was.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the details, Chris, so it would probably be best to talk to Todd, the "inventor". A couple of users had apparently put enough force on theirs for a weld to separate. But I don't know exactly what they were doing or what the cause was.

Copy that. Looks like a great piece and hope they get it sorted out.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, I just checked out the Lance 2285 online and it looks like a great rig. I'm w/churious-- need pics! Also some shots of your new hitch...

PS: I just finished watching a walkthrough of the 2016 Lance and am even more impressed than before. Very nice layout and some clever design features plus what appears to be topnotch build quality. Walk around on the roof? Don't try that on an Airstream!

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been busy getting it set up and getting the hitch (Andersen) set up. We drove it straight from the dealership on Tuesday to a nearby state park for a shake down.

We love the trailer. I've been pleased with the weight. It is easy for me to manage the tongue weight between 680 and 720 lbs (depending on how much, if any, water there is in the tanks.) The Sherling hitch scale has been awesome. Easy to use and takes all the guessing out. As for the Andersen hitch, I didn't get it set up right at the dealership (I did it myself) so my first towing experience (from the dealer) was a bit unnerving (busy freeway and heavy wins). But I finally got that set up yesterday and it pulled great today as I brought it home. BTW, the total weight with all the installed options and two full propane tanks was 4,971 lbs. We will be loading it with about 300-400 lbs of stuff. So this is well within the range for an LR4 - but not IMHO the OEM hitch receiver. So I reinstalled the Curt hitch and moved the tire to the top of the LR4. I'm also loading my off road and emergency gear (chains, jack, etc) forward of the rear axle on the LR4 as we don't use/need the middle row. All of that may not be necessary but since I have the space I thought I would move more weight in the LR4 forward.

Now, the only problem I am having is that I apparently don't have the Trailer Assist functionality installed on my LR4. At least it is not available. The setup screen (under the Cameras menu) does not have the setup option/button. But I will say that the ability to raise and lower the LR4 with the keyless remote is very handy.

Here is a quick pic with it all hooked up. (And a pic of the boxes sent to me by Hensley as I am selling their hitch back to them at a third of what I paid for it. I took a big hit on it but although it towed great, it was simply too difficult to connect and disconnect and maintain. IF the Andersen works out it will be much simpler.)

I'll do more pics when we are in more picturesque settings. ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 59

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan...

That is the perfect size trailer for the LR4 imop. Im going to upgrade to a bigger trailer about that size when I do. I have the Anderson too... love it. :hello:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's really sweet; congrats!

BTW, for those of you using OEM receiver-- can you see your hitch ball in your rearview camera? I use the Rhino which as you know is mounted much higher. Even without my drawbar in place, the Rhino is clearly visible in my rearview camera. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I towed with it that positioning myself under the trailer tongue was a piece of cake.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just planning our trip to Yellowstone next year with a travel trailer. You guys are getting me stoked, although we are driving our Nimitz class vehicle and not the LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM