Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though I don't use the OEM or the Rhino my Curt actually sits in between the height of those two. I do use a special ball mount (Andersen) that allows the ball to be at different levels. And, yes, I can see it - provided my camera is clean and the sun isn't shining on my nav screen. ;-) I have these 2 yellow "sticks" about 4' long that each have a magnet on one end. With the magnets one stick sits on top of the trailer coupler, the other sits on top 0f the ball. I just bring them together and I know I'm close when the coupler knocks the stick off the ball.

Hitching up a trailer with a ball works well with the LR4. Being able to raise/lower the LR4 with the keyless remote is a big help.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan...

That is the perfect size trailer for the LR4 imop. Im going to upgrade to a bigger trailer about that size when I do. I have the Anderson too... love it. :hello:

The Lance trailers hit the sweet spot for us. They don't make larger trailers. I think there largest is in the 24' range although I also believe they make a toy hauler. They started out as a highly regarded truck camper maker. We also like that they have a number of models/floorplans in the 19' to 24' range. It is large enough for us and allows us to use the LR4. Going larger likely would have forced us to move to a truck and I really don't want to do that yet.

People like to use them for boondocking because of their ability to handle cold temperatures. They are well insulated, windows are double-pane and the water tanks are encased in larger storage areas through which they run the heater ducts. I've seen people using them to camp at ski resorts in the winter. They are generally low profile which worked out great for us. A couple of the people who take them on rough roads have them lifted 7". But of course is you load them up with a lot of gear like generators and extra water then you would want to be careful with weight and weight distribution.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;-) Though the towing capacity for the LR4 is impressive (sadly tempered/complicated by the stupid hitch receiver design) there are times which I wish I had a stronger tow vehicle. But then I wouldn't have something that could go off road as easily. I am beginning to wonder, though, if when the LR4 dies it will be time to get a truck.

stew77

Reaction score
Been busy getting it set up and getting the hitch (Andersen) set up. We drove it straight from the dealership on Tuesday to a nearby state park for a shake down.

We love the trailer. I've been pleased with the weight. It is easy for me to manage the tongue weight between 680 and 720 lbs (depending on how much, if any, water there is in the tanks.) The Sherling hitch scale has been awesome. Easy to use and takes all the guessing out. As for the Andersen hitch, I didn't get it set up right at the dealership (I did it myself) so my first towing experience (from the dealer) was a bit unnerving (busy freeway and heavy wins). But I finally got that set up yesterday and it pulled great today as I brought it home. BTW, the total weight with all the installed options and two full propane tanks was 4,971 lbs. We will be loading it with about 300-400 lbs of stuff. So this is well within the range for an LR4 - but not IMHO the OEM hitch receiver. So I reinstalled the Curt hitch and moved the tire to the top of the LR4. I'm also loading my off road and emergency gear (chains, jack, etc) forward of the rear axle on the LR4 as we don't use/need the middle row. All of that may not be necessary but since I have the space I thought I would move more weight in the LR4 forward.

Now, the only problem I am having is that I apparently don't have the Trailer Assist functionality installed on my LR4. At least it is not available. The setup screen (under the Cameras menu) does not have the setup option/button. But I will say that the ability to raise and lower the LR4 with the keyless remote is very handy.

Here is a quick pic with it all hooked up. (And a pic of the boxes sent to me by Hensley as I am selling their hitch back to them at a third of what I paid for it. I took a big hit on it but although it towed great, it was simply too difficult to connect and disconnect and maintain. IF the Andersen works out it will be much simpler.)

I'll do more pics when we are in more picturesque settings. ;-)

Love your setup and your new Lance Travel Trailer Dan!

Your post had me checking out the Andersen Hitch...very cool system...looking at it very quickly, I can see how it does the Weight Distribution part, but I'm not sure I understand how it does the Anti-Sway part (looks like an awesome setup, and it's also supposed to offer the advantage of quietness when making turns which is a welcome benefit). Anyway, your entire setup looks absolutely awesome, and I hope the Andersen works out great for you.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jury is out on the Andersen for me. A lot of people really like it. But I was pulling my trailer through some significant cross winds on Sunday and it was rather unnerving. Maybe I don't know how it is supposed to feel pulling a trailer. But the winds were knocking me around quite a bit and had me seriously concerned. I think trying to pull a 5500# travel trailer with an LR4 is enough of a challenge. Since I still have the Hensley Cub I used last year I am going to back and try that on the new trailer. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Here are a couple pics from this weekend's trip. The first is at the top of 10.000' Kenosha Pass. The others are from our RV site near Buena Vista, CO.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 79

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for anyone following this thread who tows with BFG KO2s. What PSI do you use?

stew77

Reaction score
Jury is out on the Andersen for me. A lot of people really like it. But I was pulling my trailer through some significant cross winds on Sunday and it was rather unnerving. Maybe I don't know how it is supposed to feel pulling a trailer. But the winds were knocking me around quite a bit and had me seriously concerned. I think trying to pull a 5500# travel trailer with an LR4 is enough of a challenge. Since I still have the Hensley Cub I used last year I am going to back and try that on the new trailer. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Here are a couple pics from this weekend's trip. The first is at the top of 10.000' Kenosha Pass. The others are from our RV site near Buena Vista, CO.

Awesome pics of your camping trip near Buena Vista Dan!

Very interesting regarding the unnerving driving experience with the cross winds. One thing I can say about my Equalizer Hitch (even towing my very long Northtrail 31QBS), and towing in a number of poor weather conditions, including very heavy crosswinds is that I've never felt even the slightest bit of sway or uneasiness when towing...always extremely stable and rock solid.
It's nice that you still have the Hensley system to compare to...it will be very interesting to hear your impressions (although the Hensley is known to be the absolute BEST out there!).

Here's our LR4 hooked up with my Northtrail 31QBS...we are actually casually considering trading our 31QBS for a different floor plan, since our kids are now both teenagers and could use bigger sleeping bunks (have been looking at several of the double-queen-bunk model offerings while still staying in the ultra-light travel trailer category). Setup is Rhino Hitch + Equalizer Hitch for Weight Distribution and Sway Control.

Attachments

• LR4_RhinoHitch2r.JPG
    LR4_RhinoHitch2r.JPG
    519.8 KB · Views: 66

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jury is out on the Andersen for me.

When I was gorging on research I spent a lot of time on the main Airstream forum (airforumsdotcom). The prevailing opinion seemed to take a dim view of the Andersen in that bunch. Factor in all of the other aspects of groupthink and take that FWIW. There were also many diehard Andersen fans who went to the mat defending it. Not trying to stir the ***, just suggesting another source of anecdotal experience.

Then again, opinions are like...well you get the idea...

As always, great photos!

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for anyone following this thread who tows with BFG KO2s. What PSI do you use?

When I moved up to Load Range E I went with General Grabber AT2's. I suspect the general rules are the same. While the tires are rates at 80 psi I do not keep mine at that level. More in the 42-48psi range based on wear patterns. On a recent rotate and balance at the tire dealer they mentioned how well they are wearing so I likely are close to optimal.

I might lower the psi based on trails or raise based on load.

Hope that helps.

Edit add: Since you are running at 700#'s tongue weight with a large trailer I would bump up the 42-48 to a psi that allows the truck to manage the weight better. Hope your not running OEM tires! Personally I think load range E is minimum for the LR4.

Last edited:

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Camp looks great!

Interesting on the Andersen. I felt like it helped enough with my little trailer and have talked to a number of guys with bigger trailers that I sprung for it. Love to hear your feedback when you go back to your Hensley. I do however think that the LR4 is somewhat of a bouncy rig to tow with due to the nature of the air suspension vs say a stout diesel truck etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM