cdl lever moves but does not engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CDL goes from high to low but will not lock to the left, I don't believe that it is frozen as is sometimes the case because it moves freely to the left but I don't feel it engage nor does the light come on, what is the likely cause?

D

discomike

So does the lever go to the CDL High and Low range position and you just don't get a lite? If so have you tried to drive it and can you feel if it is locked up on turns? Sometimes the CDL light switch is slow to come on.
Mike J.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It goes into every position, and fairly easily... I have taken the shifter all the way around the various positions... when in locked and low it is definitely low, but I can't feel any difference when locked whether in high or low. I have left it in high locked while on snowy roads and can't tell a difference. Is there a pin or something that came out?

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to see if it engaging from below the vehicle or would I have to pull the console?

D

disco1

Hi ColeCam,
Here's what you should do:-

1 Park the vehicle in gear.
2 Engage the hand brake.
3 Chock the rear wheels.
4 Jack one of the front wheels off the ground and turn it by hand. If it turns freely, the CDL is unlocked; otherwise it's locked.

Let's know how you make out.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could the cdl be stuck in "high" unlocked with the shifter in "high" locked ? I bought my 97 disco and the cdl shifter was in "high-lock" I drove it over a 1000 miles all the while reading these posts and finally seeing in my owners manual and in a post that you will ruin the transfer case if you drive the disco for extended periods of normal driving in the locked position. I can shift it forward to low with a lot of effort but in either high or low on the "locked" side no light comes on and the truck is driving fine.

Stuck in unlock?

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can see the shifter linkage from underneath. The linkage comes down from the trucks floor board and goes down to the top of the transfercase, just south of the front driveshaft. Its really hard to check that way but it can be done.

Otherwise, I'd pull the console out and check it from the top side. Sounds like the linkage might be disconnected from the transfer case or part of the linkage is broken. Either of which can be done, more easily albeit, from the top side.

Last edited:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
disco1 said:
Hi ColeCam,
Here's what you should do:-

1 Park the vehicle in gear.
2 Engage the hand brake.
3 Chock the rear wheels.
4 Jack one of the front wheels off the ground and turn it by hand. If it turns freely, the CDL is unlocked; otherwise it's locked.

Let's know how you make out.

You do know that you wrong on 4, are you? You have open differential on axles. Independent spinning of wheels on same axle is still possible even with engaged CDL

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ColeMan - what year Disco. And how you determined that its not engaged? No light?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72