Change Paint Colour on LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ettebiker

Reaction score
Has anyone ever changed a tonga green lr3 to black? how did it come out?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please dont. Tonga is awesome and there are already lots of black ones. I think you would get better results from swapping trucks.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1.
Nobody knows, because nobody is silly enough to do that. Tonga is the best color of the current lineup - and possibly of any color I can recall in the past 25 years. Although Hunter Green on my RR Classic was pretty sweet in the early '90s

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're desperate for a change, try vinyl wrapping instead?

dj_karl

Reaction score
Another +1 on not changing the color of your rig. Or just use vinyl wrap or plastidip to temporarily black out your LR.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, have Tonga myself. It's probably one of the main reasons I don't have an LR4! I can't stand the current green the have.

By the way I'm a couple hundred miles away from turning 200,000 miles! Never thought I'd own it this long but the darn thing still runs as well as when it was new. Few more scratches and stains, but otherwise A OK.

Painting it? Yeah, Sell it and by another used one if that's your interest.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're just talking amongst ourselves at this point, that guy is never coming back here!

200,000? That's great! I feel the same with mine. Since I got the LR4, I've been very wishy washy about selling the 3, and still drive it regularly. WAY fewer miles than you at 110k, but it's just too damned nice to sell, especially for the peanuts I could get.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, at 10 years of ownership and 120k miles....what could I replace it with that is any better in terms of off-road ability and trip versatility? I only drive about 5k miles/year these days so 200k miles is 26 years away!

...thinking about doing new shocks and valve blocks next year just to re-up it.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're just talking amongst ourselves at this point, that guy is never coming back here!

It is one of the dumbest questions I've ever seen posted anyway.

Repainting a vehicle "comes out" however the hell you pay to have it come out...cheap = crap and expensive, if you're lucky, doesn't look like you had the car painted. It is not a land rover owners question, it is a general auto question having nothing to do with the paint colors chosen either. Do it white, do it black, irrelevant. What matters is the prep and level of detail.

People don't seem to realize that for a truly high quality paint job, it's cheaper to sell the vehicle at a reasonable loss and then buy another in the color you want next.

Nobody seems to realize that the doors need to be removed, all of the trim, much of the engine bay, etc. It's ridiculous to change. Going new version of the same color, fine, no need to do the engine bay or door jambs but it will still cost $10,000 for a top of the line job due to all the trim and crap to deal with on the lr3/4.

Not to mention, Tonga is nice. Had it on my first lr3 but I actually prefer on the lr3 either a contrasting white or light color like sand or the Vienna Green on my 2004 or black so to be more homogeneous as a whole form allowing just the geometry and lines to stand out.

ettebiker

Reaction score
Thanks all for replying my "dumb" question. all the points are duly noted. cheers

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99