Changing O2 Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 97 SE7, 84k miles is runnig great but the fuel economy has dropped from about 14-15 in the city to 12. Plugs, wires, everything else good shape. I've had this baby since 11/04 with 63k miles on it and I have done every other imaginable repair and replacement job on it except changing the VSS and the O2 sensors. I am about to order a new VSS to remedy intermittent hesitation at highway speeds and I thought I should ask about the O2 sensors because I might as well order them too if you all think that they should be replaced.

Haven't thrown a code in months and have had no other problems.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

D

discoinjapan

Hey Tommy,

Could be a few things. Anything from basic tune up, air/fuel filters, O2 sensors or even leaking fuel injectors.

Do you have a heavy gas odor in the cabin?

Good luck

Mike

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike:

No odor. engine is running very nicely. I put new plugs and high pro wires in about 6 months ago. Maybe I'll pull the plugs and clean them anyway.

Is there a normal telltale signe when the O2 sensors go bad?

D

discoinjapan

No signs. They will just go. If no odors in the cab You can probobly eliminate the injectors. I would have to say O2 sensors.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Normally, what I have seen when an O2 sensor starts to degrade is poor fuel economy. Normal healthy life of the O2 sensor is 60 - 80k miles.

Just remember if you do change them the front 2 are not fun, the back 2 you can do blind folded.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joey. 84k on the D1. Just reset my Service Engine light and I bet the O2 sensors have never been replaced.

Are all four the same or do I order two pre catalyst and two post catalyst. I was checking the parts places on the web and I wasn't sure.

Thanks again

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
All four are the same part. Cheapest place I have found them was www.discountbritishparts.com Nathan got them shipped out fast.

Also the service Engine Light, did you reset or just remove the box? If you just reset, it will come back, if you removed the box you will never see it again.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reset it but it there was nothing to doing it. I thought about just removing it and I know it would do no harm but I figured I'd leave it in for now.

Thanks for the O2 advice joey. I am ordering four replacements this morning from your guy.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey:

For my 97 SE7, which of these should I order? And, All four are the same, right?

Oxygen Sensors -

ERR6729 only $89.50

ERR1834 only $99.50

AMR6244 only $119.95

Also, should I order a new VSS to stop some highway hesitation I get once in a while or can it be adjusted?

Thanks,

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VSS can not be adjusted.

All four O2 sensors are the same -- you should email or call Nathan. He answers the phone a lot of the time, and responds to emails pretty quickly. If memory serves you need the most expensive ones for a D1.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo