Check engine warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The check engine light is on in my '97 Disco. The engine may have overheated, as a few miles from home, both the check engine and oil lamps came on. I stopped and checked the oil level and it was okay. Driving on, the engine lost power dramatically. Reaching home, I waited a day, checked all fluids, and cranked the engine. It seemed fine and I drove it around the block with no problem other than a slight tappet noise. I disconnected/reconnected the battery, and the oil light went away. but the check engine light remained on. What am I supposed to check? :confused:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Tapping sound could be an oil pump failure that would give you the above... but without the code I have no idea.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joey, I knew you'd be the first to respond. can you recommend a good instrument for reading codes?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Any OBDII reader... I have a cheap one that cost around $60, and I have a better one that I have over $300 in... both read codes.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey,
If you want to sell the cheap one, give me a price. I realize it's a trust thing, but I would have no problem sending you a check or cash, and rely upon you to send the reader.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't mean mine were for sale... sorry...

You can buy a cheap one at almost any autoparts store for around $60

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo