Cold weather vibration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For weeks its been brutally cold here in Vermont with morning temps negative 22 the other day. It rarely gets above about +5 during the day. My 2016 LR4 (14k mi) is garaged but the garage isn’t heated.

For the past few days I’ve experienced severe front end vibration when I drive between about 55 and 70. After a while it goes away and then runs smooth until the next day.

Any ideas? The first time it happened I thought it might be snow/ice unbalancing the wheels (I’d driven across a snow covered meadow) but the past couple days it shimmied anyway even tho I stayed out of the snow.

Could the tires be getting flat spots overnight?
Or is this a sign of trouble?

Thank you

Frank

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost certainly tires getting flat spots if there is no snow in the wheels. You can increase the pressure in your tires to mitigate it somewhat.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, flat spots. My Nokian winter tires had them after being parked in Maine for a few days. It was -18 with a -35 wind chill. One of my front tires dropped 9 psi from 36 to 27. I presume it was the bead leaking in the frigid temps since it hasn't lost a pound now that I'm back in +0 temps.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whew!

Thanks, guys. I’ll check pressure once extreme cold moderates.
Tires are winter tires.

Frank

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99