Commuting with my LR3 / Looking at alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an A3 TDI loaner last year when my allroad was in for some work. I expected boring, basic transportation. I was wrong.

After one day and 300 miles I thought it was an absolute blast to drive. Diesel takes a little getting used-to as there is no reason to rev it past 3000 rpm. All the power you need is there by 2000 rpm.

It is very quick off the line due to all that torque. The diesel A3 only comes front wheel drive (no quattro), but torque-steer was minimal. The loaner A3 had the dual clutch DSG, which is fantastic. I couldn't shift a manual that quick. What was really fun was downshifting on exit ramps, made it feel like a go cart. The handling, steering feedback and suspension are excellent.

Even with aggressive driving, I still got over 40 mpg that day. If you don't need quattro for winter driving, then seriously consider an A3 TDI. It will make your commute fun.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an A3 TDI loaner last year when my allroad was in for some work. I expected boring, basic transportation. I was wrong....Even with aggressive driving, I still got over 40 mpg that day. If you don't need quattro for winter driving, then seriously consider an A3 TDI. It will make your commute fun.
Thanks, Paul! I need to demo one of those.

Dare I say Tesla Model S?
I have considered that. It'd be a fun ride for certain.
I'd consider that if I never planned up upgrading the LR3...at 160K I'm still running strong, but if something major happens I'll probably punt and get a new one. So I don't want the commuter to break the bank.

Tesla has this nice cost configurator on their website to tell you how affordable the car really is...well, it's still really a lot of f*cking money every month! :) For a commuter. I know folks that love the car and for them it is a lifestyle choice. They love to plan trips out with all their charge station waypoints and such along the way. Not me...I'd go back and forth to work and then hop in the Rover. Unless the Model S is that fun to drive... LOL

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Paul! I need to demo one of those.

I have considered that. It'd be a fun ride for certain.
I'd consider that if I never planned up upgrading the LR3...at 160K I'm still running strong, but if something major happens I'll probably punt and get a new one. So I don't want the commuter to break the bank.

Tesla has this nice cost configurator on their website to tell you how affordable the car really is...well, it's still really a lot of f*cking money every month! :) For a commuter. I know folks that love the car and for them it is a lifestyle choice. They love to plan trips out with all their charge station waypoints and such along the way. Not me...I'd go back and forth to work and then hop in the Rover. Unless the Model S is that fun to drive... LOL

Trust me, it is that fun to drive ;)

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly was not even thinking of an Accord until I read the about it in C&D's Top 10. My ideal would be an Suby Outback XT or Turbo Diesel in the current model, as the regular Outback does not have enough power for me. I also looked at the Mini JCW Countryman, but I could not see the Tachometer (completely blocked by the steering wheel), the pedals were so close I had to remove my right shoe on the test drive, with my two boys in the back the rear suspension was compressing into the bumpstops on even mild bumps, and the gearbox was very notchy. If the new Golf GTI was available, I would probably have gone with that.

The Accord does take Regular Unleaded, though I fill it with 89 (seems to be smoother and better mpg). I can fold down the rear seats w/o removing the headrests and not adjust the drivers seat - just flop down.

R&T: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/2014-honda-accord-sport-drive-notes

C&D: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-honda-accord-sport-24-long-term-update-review

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tossing out another idea:

2 wheels instead of 4.... drive the lr3 sometimes and the bike other times?

I currently ride a BMW R1200 GS which gets 40 mpg or better depending on gear loaded and speed. Commuting you get the HOV lane if available too!

Audi A3? Well, I bought a new S4 Avant in 2008, 6mt, LOVE it. Wonderful car. However, the A3 never did much for me even though I thought it should. It's small and expensive for what you get. Pardon me to anyone who has one but it seems like basically an overpriced Golf. Might as well have an actual Golf, tdi fwd or Golf R awd.

;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72