control arm bushings -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it might be my time. I am just (74,000) miles getting a hint of what might be the beginning of bushing failure. I only rarely hear a clunk, most noticeably when I turn into a steep driveway at an angle. Occasionally I hear it on uneven road surfaces.
The problem is, my extended warranty goes expires in two weeks and I'm not sure they are 'failed enough' to be replaced yet.

So finally, the question: Is it possible for a mechanic to recognize early onset bushing failure EOBF? Can he shake the control arm or the wheel or something and tell it's going?

It'd sure be nice to get at least some use of my ESP warranty.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you'll have to do it anyway...I'd take it in now and roll the dice.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roverman.. I brought my LR in to get the EPB replaced ..and while working on it, the mechanic noticed that my control arm and bushings needed replacing. My Easycare warrant approved the control arm but not the bushing citing "natural wear and tear" especially for a 2005..
At least theyre paying for the more expensive repairs..

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd set of front lower control arm bushings and I'm at 35,000 miles. Ford extended warranty have replaced twice in 2 years.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zulu, how did the mechanic 'notice', can you tell visually or shake the wheel and feel? Did you know they were going bad when the car got taken in? What was wrong with the arms themselves for the warranty to cover them and not the bushings? Good info.

jjvd, that's insane, but good to know there's a chance.

houm, yeah, that's the plan. maybe I should try to find 1000 miles of washboard before going in just to be sure!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah good luck...I been wheelin' the hell out of my LR3 for the past 2 years trying to wear out the bushings before my GEICO MBI ends....can't do it!

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer tech looks for movement / too much play and then replaced.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can also become noticable when you get your alignment done, as if they are worn bad enough, the tech's won't be able to get the alignment to stay in spec.

Trynian

Reaction score
On my third set as well at almost 75k miles and starting to notice that the time is coming for another set in the not to distant future.

One way to check and the Tech road with me in the car, is to drive at about 5 mph and hit the breaks hard, you will hear them knock.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, they aren't that bad yet. If i brake hard while going over a bump i can get em to knock. Maybe I'll ask for an alignment, it's been a while anyway. Say, I thought I heard that the replacement arms had better bushings?? Apparently not, since many of you are going through multiple arms. bummer....

Only other things I've accumulated over the years:
1 cracked rails and rattly sunroof
2 the too long to crank before firing problem
3 something else I'm forgetting right now

I'm planning on having them change the diff fluids. Hopefully if there is too much metal on the drain plugs and they catch it, then maybe they'll cover it. If not, good to know they are good.

All very helpful, thank you. Going in next week, I'll let ya know how it goes...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9