Cooling system hoses at 30K miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m5ccie

Reaction score
Hello all,

I received a letter from my dealer today saying that during my last service visit they noted that I needed new Cooling System Hoses and Cooling System Service. This is on my 2006 LR3 HSE with 30K miles. I thought cooling system service should be done every 10 years; not sure how soon you need to replace the hoses. The last service was due to a coolant leak because of a bad small hose.

A 2.5 year old vehicle needing new hoses sounds "fishy" to me but I'm new to Land Rovers and I don't know if that is the norm with them. Or maybe the stealer is going through some tough times? The wording clearly states the services were needed in order to ensure the high-level of performance of your 2006 Land Rover LR3. This could be grounds for legal action if the hoses or the cooling system is fine. I can understand the sales pitch if they used the word "recommended" instead of "needed" however when they use this type of wording, you can't help it but to have second thoughts about the dealer and if the service is truly needed.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Jim K.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At a bare minimum, I would consider this a warranty failure, and not a wear and tear item (meaning it should be covered at no cost to you). There is no way that your coolant hoses should already need replacement, unless it is due to premature failure due to a manufacturer's defect.

BTW - when we've been pulling in the garage lately I've noticed the slight smell of coolant, but our LR3 doesn't seem to be leaking. Our warranty is up in a couple months - I'd better get that checked out!

-Rich

m5ccie

Reaction score
I called the dealer this morning and I let them know how I felt. They quickly told me that the letter was sent in error and I should throw the letter away...lol. They are just trying to find their victims and see if you bite. I bet that if I had played along, they would have happily offer to make an appointment to get this done. Watch out folks!

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similiar letter saying I needed a "Tune-up." I emailed the service advisor inquiring about the tune-up who said that letter is incorrect, and to ignore it. They stated a marketing firm sends out those letters and have no direct information about the vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM