Dash Light Delay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

super_poser

Wouldn't the finger nail polish insulate the contacts? :confused: Charles

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Polish itself will insulate them and protect (well, somewhat) from nature forces (and dust). So after you soldered something you can actually cover it with nail polish in vain attempt to make it dust/water proof. Its not holding very well though on moving parts :)

Polish remover is totally different thing and in most cases is aceton based, so it will try to eat through stuff, effectively cleaning for you :)

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Charles,
I think faster than I type. Finger nail polish remover. Depending on where your short is, I probably wouldn't cover it with nail polish especially if there are other wires near. It can get messy and flake as it gets old. I had a similar problem with my Audi. I got some silicone dessicant(moisture absorber) and packed in the area around the short and put some in fuse box when I wasn't driving it. I don't know if it is available by retail. With my rover during the humid St. Louis summers I just grab a handful and spread them out in my car. It takes awhile to work, but it also seams to get rid of odors associated with moisture ie. bother-in laws dog odor. The brand I use is Sorb-It 1800-989-3374. Avoid alcohols for cleaning electronics, escpecially methanol. It and other alcohols carry a charge and can actually leave a static charge after cleaning.

S

super_poser

I was not trying to be a smart :bootyshak . I was just thinking here is something new that I did not know. Thanks Charles

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with Contact cleaner??? I use it on anything electrical that isn't working, and it usually does the trick.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, that's electrical contact cleaner, not contact lense cleaner.....maybe I've been smelling it too long....:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99