differential maintenance $$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, so the oil change is due soon and I thought that at 68k miles perhaps giving a bit of love to the diffs may come handy.

So I want to ask you how much does your dealer or indy charges for the diff oil change?
Just to give me an idea if my dealer price is in, at, or out of the money.
Most probably he is well out of the money but I am curious as to how overpriced his quote is.

Thanks

schwaggy

Reaction score
Hello, so the oil change is due soon and I thought that at 68k miles perhaps giving a bit of love to the diffs may come handy.

So I want to ask you how much does your dealer or indy charges for the diff oil change?
Just to give me an idea if my dealer price is in, at, or out of the money.
Most probably he is well out of the money but I am curious as to how overpriced his quote is.

Thanks

Front and Rear diffs, with rear locker, in Seattle was $175

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....a lot cheaper for non-locker. I have the HD Package too but the tech mentioned that the fluid for the locking diff is what is SO much money.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was quoted the same price (more than double schwaggy's) for both front and rear despite the fact that I have the locker rear diff... that's odd

schwaggy

Reaction score
My guy used Genuine LR fluid for the front, but I think Amsoil or Royal Purple for the rear. Perhaps that's why mine was reasonable money.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use the Royal Purple all the way around.

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it yourself...

Do it yourself, It cost about $20 a bottle at your local LR Dealerships. You'll need total of 2 bottles to do the front and back without rear diff locks, and 3 bottles with rear diff lock. Its easier than an oil change. If anyone's near the RI area I could help you out. Total cost $40 - $60.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the kind offer Mx468, I'm in northern Mexico tho...

I will consider doing it myself, dealer is quoting me usd 430+ tax (VAT rate here is 16%) for both, his prices are always an insulting ripoff...

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
As already noted, this is an easy job, especially if you do your own motor oil changes.

The factory manual says to use Castrol SAF-XO - 75W/90 for front and rear (non-locking). I called the dealer and they said any brand as long as it's full synthetic. I used Royal Purple. Front fill is .64 quarts. Rear fill is 1.16 quarts. I bought a hand pump from Harbor Freight and used a Pyrex to measure volume.

Pull your fill plug first--it's the one that has a tendency to seize. You don't want to pull the drain plug first and have no diff fluid in case you can't get the fill plug out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM