Disco 2 tire decision - Very confused

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Figman

Reaction score
Hello there:

I am having a very difficult time deciding on which tires to get; I have a ’01 SE7 with ACE, SLS, 68K miles and worn out GY HPs 18s ”that sound like a helicopter.

In the past board members gave good information on my two primary choices: the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the Generals AT2. My mechanic tells me that I am not going to like the AT2 after a couple thousand miles and my tire guy tells me either model I will “feel” more the road because of the tread pattern. Unfortunately I am still undecided on which to go; I have to make a decision this week as my tire guy is waiting for a phone call and the old tires are becoming a safety issue.

Here is why list of features from most important to least important:

1- Safety (make sure the wife and kids are safe while we take family trips)
2- Traction (New York winters require good traction) I don’t do any major off-road but often drive to camping grounds that have gravel and unpaved roads.
3- Looks (I like the look of all terrain tires but don’t know if I will like the everyday driving)
4- Durability (if I get 30K miles I will be happy, the GY HPs have been on for almost 40K miles)
5- Noise ( I don’t really care if the tires produce a bit of noise or less that the worn out GY HP as long as I got get any vibration with the AT tires.

Or should I just get Pirelli Scorpios STR or ATR or something more street like.

I don’t know, I am confused, Help please.

Thanks

Figman

jimzigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nokians

if u are in northern climate i love nokian WR. you can run all year round and get good mileage 40k + and awesome snow ice performance. trail performance not as good as AT but i ddi fine with em at last event

michliving

Reaction score
I would also say The Nokian WR is the way to go. They just came out with a WR G2, not sure if it's made in 18" yet. For Michigan living we experience 4 seasons so it's nice to have an all weather tire for all year. Awesome in the snow and ice and surprisingly quiet ride. I would recommend Josh at Tiresbyweb.com. They seem to have the best prices avalible in North America. Good luck with your descision!

goingson2002

Reaction score
Consider Nokian wr g2

Hello,

I really beleive in Nokians -- most people don't sell them, but they are made in Sweden, a country that has a lot of snow and challenging driving conditions. Not to mention the fasted production car in the world @ 244MPH, the Koenigsegg :cool:

I found a small tire shop in Utica, Michigan that has a great price on Nokian tires -- saving 25-30% over tiresbyweb.com prices. I just bought a set of Nokain WR G2.

I believe you can go to the Nokian website ( http://www.nokiantires.com/en/ ) and use the dealer locator to help you find a dealer...

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not even the Stig with top gear could handle the Koenigsegg due to not enough downdraft as seen here in the Top gear video. This car has just over 800 hp.

YouTube - The Stig tries to handle the Koenigsegg CCX

When they modified the car with a rear spoiler, the car seemed to perform better, but the top speed was less.

YouTube - Koenigsegg CCX w Top Gear Wing

Bugatti Veyron

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x157l2_bugatti-veyron-at-top-speed

Has 1001 horsepower and ten radiators, 200 hp more than the Koenigsegg and has better handling characteristics. It also goes to 407 kph. The tires at this speed will only last around 15 minutes, but that's ok, the fuel runs out in 12 minutes……………… and at 1.5 million us dollars per car, I won’t be getting one any time soon.

Enjoy..... Chongo :bandit:

Last edited:

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for some reason the link will not work for Bugatti

sorry, something is hung up in the system, I got the first two to work, but not this one.

This works, copy and paste this in your browser:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x157l2_bugatti-veyron-at-top-speed

Enjoy........... Chongo :bandit:

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
hmmm tires to the worlds fastest car all on a Rover site which I would hate to be in a Disco over 100mph ....

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^Hahaha - good point. Figman - sorry about the threadjack :biggrin:

-Rich

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99